Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Just wondering how many peeps on this forum who load and unload their chairs?

My ZR, my only chair, goes out several days a week, never is broken down.

I can walk some so with the ol’ Jeep Cherokee I simply pop the hatch, transfer my butt to one side of the trunk floor, grab the chair’s nearest front frame along with the far end of the rigidizer bar and swing the whole thing up and around and in.

The stern rail of my wife’s Golf is too high for me to lift the chair up and over and down into the trunk and still maintain balance so she's the Man when using her VW.

Light weight is important to us with a house on pilings, a stairway to be navigated every come-and-go, me having to rope-leash the chair up and down once every day or two if my Agile Better Half isn’t around to haul the freight.

All up the ZR is quite light, give or take a pound about 21-22#s (bathroom scale method) including: CF tube and release bar, folding cloth back, 16x16 G10 pan, Stim Sport cushion, 25” LX/Marathons/Surge LTs, titanium stems/Slipstreams/5x1.4” FLAHSRs and composite scissor locks. Don’t use side guards.

Far as weight, I doubt an equally-equipped TR3 would be half a pound different than a ZR.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    So the TR5?
    Lol, yeah at the rate this 'replacement' project is going. This TR is becoming a shredded rattletrap, but it keeps going and going making me real lazy to order another one

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I'm with the standard sling back now for almost 28yrs and I was thinking it would be lovely to have something more suitable to a pre-menopausal 40yr old woman .. lol. Have you tried any of them - if so - what did you not like?
    I went from some clunky Jay back on my post-rehab chair to the "tension adjustable by straps" back and stuck with that. It has maybe 1/2" of high density foam in the back material, which rides on top of I think 4 straps that go across the 2 seat back posts. I cant tell how comfortable they are, but I have them set up to form what seems ok, with enough side to side support so I'm not tipping over like if the back was more-flat. So I guess it is an improvement over a fixed style sling where you can make it how you want it, without some 'designers' idea of what a wheelchair back should be. Much simpler, less weight and parts.

Beyond this, I don't know much else about backs

I've returned to using upholstered backs, too. I've been through 3 CF shells from ADI, with custom making the padding myself, and still can't really justify the additional expense/fasteners/complexity/weight/comfort, whenever I compare it directly, Pepsi Challenge style, to the fabric on my particular setups and for my seating/positioning needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Lol, yeah at the rate this 'replacement' project is going. This TR is becoming a shredded rattletrap, but it keeps going and going making me real lazy to order another one

I went from some clunky Jay back on my post-rehab chair to the "tension adjustable by straps" back and stuck with that. It has maybe 1/2" of high density foam in the back material, which rides on top of I think 4 straps that go across the 2 seat back posts. I cant tell how comfortable they are, but I have them set up to form what seems ok, with enough side to side support so I'm not tipping over like if the back was more-flat. So I guess it is an improvement over a fixed style sling where you can make it how you want it, without some 'designers' idea of what a wheelchair back should be. Much simpler, less weight and parts.

Beyond this, I don't know much else about backs

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I've returned to using upholstered backs, too. I've been through 3 CF shells from ADI, with custom making the padding myself, and still can't really justify the additional expense/fasteners/complexity/weight/comfort, whenever I compare it directly, Pepsi Challenge style, to the fabric on my particular setups and for my seating/positioning needs.
    I would posit that for lower level paras with largely intact trunk control the benefits of a hard back may not justify the expense, etc. as compared to high quality back upholstery. I stopped using upholstered backs when the first Jay Back appeared on the market in the mid-'80s, so I have virtually no memory of what they're like.

I do know, however, that having a hard back allows me to trim the back posts very low (about 5"-6" from the top of the back) and that this allows me unobstructed rearward movement of my arms -- I ain't banging into anything. As always, when it comes to wheelchair options and setup it's all about trade-offs.
    Last edited by stephen212; 03-17-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I would posit that for lower level paras with largely intact trunk control the benefits of a hard back may not justify the expense, etc. as compared to high quality back upholstery. I stopped using upholstered backs when the first Jay Back appeared on the market in the mid-'80s, so I have virtually no memory of what they're like.

I do know, however, that having a hard back allows me to trim the back posts very low (about 5"-6" from the top of the back) and that this allows me unobstructed rearward movement of my arms -- I ain't banging into anything. As always, when it comes to wheelchair options and setup it's all about trade-offs.

Good point. I'm edging nearer to needing something with a bit more postural support, and control, too. For me it is also an important variable in pressure management, too, not only compensating for core. I have a sweet spot @ ~14.5", with the correct lower contours, where my seat mapping goes "green". (Which is entirely relatively, but meaning my hotspots cooled off, and visual inspection has continued to support the connection.)

That's quite a bit higher than I need in order to remain comfortably upright for extended periods of time. My old BBall chair had an 8" back.

I REALLY like the short back canes. I am forever whacking my elbows on the GT's.
    Last edited by DaleB; 03-17-2013 at 04:56 PM.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

My new ZR will arrive with the standard upholstery, to be replaced with an 8" ADI carbon fiber back. If I left the upholstery on, the 12" back canes on my current chair would put the top of the back at 〜 5" above my side guards. The day I can compare the two can't come soon enough :-)