Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Power Pod for Handcycles - update

Thanks Patrick, but I don't see anything there offered as a kit with the charger and all? I'm hoping for some kind of discount too if possible. It's a lot of money. I hope these come down in price.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

http://www.ebikekit.com/e-bike-batte...-13ah-battery/ Is everything you need. If you don't want the charger then they'll discount 98 bucks. If you order make sure it's with the anderson connectors and not the prong. I've been thinking about it also but the batteries I got from them 3 years ago are still good I imagine though seem to be getting tired. You could buy 4 ir 5 replacement sla kits for the price of one llitho. I think I'm going to stick with the SLA 12v 15 ah like I have. May go with their SLA 12v 12ah battery setup as I'm having a hard time justifying paying so much for the lithos and don't plan on doing any 50 mile rides. I may do 20 or 25 max at 18mph.

Thanks appreciate it, that does look like the way to go at least for me, it would be really easy to load and unload from the car and last a long time. I'm going to get together the power pod stuff and make a decision on it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    http://www.ebikekit.com/e-bike-batte...-13ah-battery/ Is everything you need. If you don't want the charger then they'll discount 98 bucks. If you order make sure it's with the anderson connectors and not the prong. I've been thinking about it also but the batteries I got from them 3 years ago are still good I imagine though seem to be getting tired. You could buy 4 ir 5 replacement sla kits for the price of one llitho. I think I'm going to stick with the SLA 12v 15 ah like I have. May go with their SLA 12v 12ah battery setup as I'm having a hard time justifying paying so much for the lithos and don't plan on doing any 50 mile rides. I may do 20 or 25 max at 18mph.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Yup, that is the exact battery I just got. And the 48v 13ah is really nice in terms of distance and maximum power (it gave 1,010 watts maximum). It lasted 10.3ah's (not the stated 13ah). Which is something I have noticed with all batteries. They all give less than stated. Yet, when you take them back to BatteriesPlus they test them and tell you there is nothing wrong.

Anyway, the 10.3 ah's gave me 49 miles, which was insane. I think, they would give me 40 at the slightly faster rate I usually go.

Shipping - the one thing to remember with the LiPo's is that they come in a special box that is full of strange granules. The shipping alone cost $68.50 - so check if that price includes this.

Curt, if you order through me I will see about getting a discount off that price. I'll split my dealer discount with you 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

Absolutely, there is no need to go to the expense and care and feeding learning curve of lithium if weight and size is no issue.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Thanks appreciate it, that does look like the way to go at least for me, it would be really easy to load and unload from the car and last a long time. I'm going to get together the power pod stuff and make a decision on it this weekend.
    I think there are only three types of Lithium batteries available. The first two are the most common.
    Lifepo4 lithium iron phosphate My trike is a 48v one of these. My SmartDrive uses it too.
    Li-MN Lithium manganese This is what the Bionx battery I have is. My wife’s folding bike is also Li-MN
    LiPo LiPoPrismatic Lithium Polymer, (whatever) which is what the remote control crowd uses and they are spilling over into the hub motors. These are not for beginners in my opinion, I’m not sure if I would even get one.

I went to e-bikes webpage and a man in a box came up and asked if he could help me. I first asked what type of battery they were selling. He said they have the Li-MN. Good now the hard question, do you have 24V.

They don’t, but he did say their batteries carry a two year warrantee. I’m thinking that is pretty darn exceptional depending on the fine print. These batteries are not bullet proof, in fact just the opposite, They say you can wreck cells by dropping or accidentally shorting them. Anyway I told him PP Mark suggested this place and I’d send along the two year warrantee info to the forum.

One of the things to learn is that you don’t just slap any charger on them. You either learn about lithium battery charging or buy the charger that comes with the battery.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    Yup, that is the exact battery I just got. And the 48v 13ah is really nice in terms of distance and maximum power (it gave 1,010 watts maximum). It lasted 10.3ah's (not the stated 13ah). Which is something I have noticed with all batteries. They all give less than stated. Yet, when you take them back to BatteriesPlus they test them and tell you there is nothing wrong.

Anyway, the 10.3 ah's gave me 49 miles, which was insane. I think, they would give me 40 at the slightly faster rate I usually go.

Shipping - the one thing to remember with the LiPo's is that they come in a special box that is full of strange granules. The shipping alone cost $68.50 - so check if that price includes this.

Curt, if you order through me I will see about getting a discount off that price. I'll split my dealer discount with you 50/50.
    I got one sourced out of Vancouver Canada which is a couple, maybe three hours north of here, (Seattle). For some stupid reason they would not ground ship it, it had to go by air. But that meant because of it's classification, it was routed through Atlanta. Seems like it took a couple of weeks after it was shipped and paid for. It probably traveled by ground from Atlanta to my Seattle dealer.

Is there a hard case on that battery? It looks like giant shrink wrap. Are you going to make a case for it?

So are you getting more watt hours out of lithium than you ever did out of the best sla?

That is a crazy shipping story....!!

Mine came in a large (14" x14" x 14") box, full of this granulated stuff that looks for the world like Cheerios......(they were NOT, learned that one the hard way).

The battery looks just like that photo - shrinkwrapped blue package. However, e-bikekit send the same bag that the 36v SLA's come in. The bag is took big for the battery, but that's fine - you can put other stuff in there if you wish, or just foam it up.

As for the comparison to SLA's......yes, it is so much better.

I was buying Werker SLA's from batteriesplus, at a dealer cost that I negotiated ($33 ea). I always hook up my Wattsup meter and see what I am getting. And I never get any more than 8ah's out of a "12ah" battery. Some of them gave less than 7.

For the last 4 months I have been cycling around with TWO 36v blocks on the bike. That is 6 12v cells. That is like 50lbs of lead. And I could barely get 17 miles out of them. Useless.

But now I have this 8lb thing that gets me over 40 miles.....

I am really very happy. Of course the price was up there....and the dealer discount with e-bikekit is pretty slim. But I will gladly split it with you if you are interested. Need to work out if the shipping is included in that web-price.

Decided I would go for a meter first to see where mine are at and then make the decision of what kind. Is the Wattsup meter still the one to get?
    I've done thirty milers on my 48v 15ah batteries. they are the Rhinos in I got from ebike when they still sold 15ah. Perhaps the extra 3ah per battery helps with the distance. I rarely do over 20 now so perhaps the 12ah would be okay.