Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Power Pod for Handcycles - update

I hope he's still making them. I wouldn't know if I'd still be riding without one anymore. Thanks Lynnifer for contacting Mark.

I'm thinking about just getting 3 of these for my powerpod as they are 1/5 the weight of lead acids and you can leave them sitting for long periods with no worries. http://www.amazon.com/YTZ14S-Z14S-Li...rcycle+battery Anybody else gone the lithium route at this point? I like the way they charge level indicators too.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I'm looking at batteries myself Curt. My old ones are Rhinos and have lasted going on three years. They're still good but can feel they're slowing down. Will probably go with 4 rhino 12v 15amp batteries.

The one you posted look really good. What is the amp on them do you know? Looks like you have to change the connectors to the battery as those aren't F2 connectors. Can you use the same charger or have to buy a new one.

I have Universal 12v 15a batteries on my ZX-1. Not impressed with them at all. Out of the 4 I've gone thru, two of them were bad. Definitely won't put 'em on the PP.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I'm thinking about just getting 3 of these for my powerpod as they are 1/5 the weight of lead acids and you can leave them sitting for long periods with no worries. http://www.amazon.com/YTZ14S-Z14S-Li...rcycle+battery Anybody else gone the lithium route at this point? I like the way they charge level indicators too.
    Do you want to wire them up in series Curt to get 36 volts? I don't think this is a good choice for several reasons. First they do not show the amp hour rating. Second, lithium although superior to lead acid in many respects is also more complicated as the cells require a battery management system. You know how it is when they say don't mix new and old batteries together? It's more serious with lithium. There is circuitry to keep the cells balanced, called battery management system. But with three separate batteries...how do you do that?
    And then there is the charger. Lithium chargers are different then lead acid chargers. I don't know all the differences, but a good way to blow out a battery is to put a lead acid charger on a lithium battery. Not only does have to be the correct charger for the battery, but the voltage and milliamp output of the charger has to match what the battery management system is looking for.

I'm still learning this stuff and may have erred a little above, but I have had good success repurposing craigslist lithium batteries for adaptive purposes. Currently I'd like to pick up a 24 volt lithium to replace a 36 volt I have as it has too much torque for me. Last time I looked the cost for a decent 24v battery and matching charger was 400 out of LA. Getting it stateside is a big savings. Tesla is supposedly building the biggest lithium battery factory in the world here in the US. It should include the batteries we need, and could dramatically affect this market.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Wow that is good news about the Tesla factory. Thanks for the info. I know very little about Lithium batteries and after reading what you wrote I now have less interest in them for now. If I can find a 36 Volt one and charger that is around at least 30 amps then maybe, but otherwise for now maybe I'll just 3 12 volt ones like I had and wire them in series and use my existing charger. My main goal right now is to get the power pod set back up and running on the bike and do some rides up north with hills that I otherwise would not do. Been at least a couple years since I used my Power Pod and I know the batteries are no good at this point without even testing them after sitting so long. I guess I'll take a ride down to batteries plus, that would be the most easy way to replace them.

This one is tempting though, at under 8 lbs, it would be so easy to take on and off and the bike would probably get around 15 to 20 miles before it went dead. Not too bad a price and includes the charger. http://www.nycewheels.com/lithium-polymer-ae-3614.html at least if this sat around for a while it would not go bad unlike the lead acids.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 08-17-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

You may want to contact E-bike Curt and get their opinion on the Litho setup. I know they sell a couple of them on their site.I'm sticking with the SLA's 12v 15ah but get a better quality. They use the Rhino brand so may go with that one or something else other than Universal. Not sure why you care about weight with a PP. If it's on no big deal on weight and if you want to ride with it off the PP tracks like it's not even there. I think you're going to enjoy getting those faster speeds again.

Hey Guys....been a while...!!!

I am still selling the Power Pods and no issues so far.

As for batteries; I have not had a lot of good luck with the SLA's. I have probably been through 30 cells. They are kinda cheap (especially if you get a dealer discount), but they NEVER last the stated 12ah's. I am lucky to get 9ah's, and they drop off over time.

So......I took the plunge and bought a LiPo 48v 13ah battery from e-bikekit.com

They are not cheap, but after 3 rides I am completely sold.

First, it is LIGHT. I need to weigh it, but its like 10lbs.
    Second, it is powerful. I got 49 miles out of that battery (riding with my dad so the average was slow).

I need to take it out for a faster ride to see what the true range is (at like 17+mph).

Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well out there. And if you mention me and the power pod when you order then guess what, I get the commission as the official dealer. But I don't mind either way....just makes me look like a good dealer if I am driving sales.

Mark

Will do Mark. Did you have to change chargers etc. also? Probably

Yeah they come with different chargers......I think they are specialized for LiPo in some respect.

Having spent 3 years riding around on SLA's I am really impressed with the LiPo. I just wish the price was lower. I really think that electric power is the way of the future. If I were still AB I would ride an electrical assist bike EVERYHWHERE. The savings in gas would eventually pay for it. Obviously, a handcycle is not suited for a ride to the shops or work (no wheelchair at the other end). But if I were AB, I would have a decent mountain bike with a little trailer to carry things on. You get the exercise, but you also get the speed.....

I guess a rack could be rigged up to carry a folding titanium chair on the back of the handcycle. How much was battery Mark and is there a way for us to get a discount that you know of? I am interested. This way if it sat around it would not be issue like with the lead acids. That range is very impressive. I am anxious to get my power pod all rigged up again, hopefully I can find all the parts.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred