Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer activism

Summer activism

The way I see it, this is just another election year for us. We have until November (give or take) to sway the vote and get the CRPA passed once and for all. I think we're all behind that one. A lot of us are pushing for funding for a sci clinical trial network too.

My dad was a politician, I grew up campaigning. Election year was always gruelling but fun. Winning was never a given and losing was never an option (although sometimes it happened.) It was never over until those last returns were counted...my brothers and I used to stay up all night watching.

We hit every rodeo, parade, street dance and turtle race in his district. OMG we worked it. And so much for that little walk down memory lane. Now is now. Who wants to work their tails off this summer and how do you think we should go about it?

Some of my thoughts...

I'll check with CRPF, see if they have suggestions.

But we are the down and dirty grass-rootsers, and I have no doubt we'll put a different spin on things.

I'd like to see a time, probably in August, when we all got appointments with federal legislators from 50 states. August seems to be when they come home. We could possibly make a media thing out of this.

I'd like to see us make an all-out letter onslaught.

I'd like to see the awareness stuff (bracelets, magnets, whatever) really stepped up. The Southards are the kings of this, if they'll offer tips.

I'd like to see the regions organized and kicking some political butt. I have a lot of ideas about who might want to do this but you can never tell until the volunteers roll up.

I'd like if people had ideas about how to finance such a thing.

The problem with Carecure is that as a democracy it sucks. Ultimately everybody does what they want, or what they can. We've got an amazing pool of talent and passion, though, and that's worth a lot.

It's May. Let's roll.

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx

Betheny~

I'm in. Let me know what I can do...I know not many people are represented in Kansas so I wanna make it count. I know my friends and family would love to help out too. There's no better time to gear up than summer because we college students can devote more time to the cause.

http://curlieqcarrie.friendpages.com/
    Kansas girls put the HEAT in wheat...

Betheny....

You know I'm game, especially the second half of the summer. I'm taking a break from summerschool and would be happy to do anything I can to make it happen. You have my email address.

"Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

LOL, Justin and Carrie, you 2 were already SO enlisted.

How's this idea? I noticed when planning the rally that a lot of people like speaking publicly. I think every city and every town has a Rotary club, a VFW, an American Legion, Kiwanis, etc.

What if we, either individually or collectively, put together a presentation? Like Power Point, or a video, I don't know. But we could give them the rap and they tend to be influential. I think this could seriously be developed.

I hope I get more responses. Otherwise I'll be talking to myself in public (here) and hunting a bunch of you down on email.

we all have local events, i'm thinking a booth, a lap top, a printer, envelopes, list of legislators, maybe get a sponsor to pop for stamps, etc. we have template letters, maybe a donation can to cover costs if no sponsor.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

I'm still recovering from April, but I'm ready for round 2.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Betheny
    I'd like to see a time, probably in August, when we all got appointments with federal legislators from 50 states. August seems to be when they come home. We could possibly make a media thing out of this.

Do you mean for people to get appointments as individual constituents or as representatives of CureParalysis Now? Either way seems okay to me, I just wasn't sure. Also, if you wanted to attract the media would it be best for everyone to schedule appointments on the same day? (That's probably not possible though [img]http:
    //carecure.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Thanks.

Harris and I gave a presentation to our local sci support group about the bill and the rally. Everyone was real impressed with the rally, etc. We may be doing follow up advocacy training on letter writing, etc. Course, I may be speaking for the "incredible" Harris tho. lol.

Take your hands off my MOJO

nggun-
    As individual constituents.
    It would be cool to all do it on the same day but I think it's impossible.

Liz-
    Awesome, that's what I'm talking about. We each reach a few that reach a few that reach a few...

Let me know about your letters. I was thinking of burning cd's of templates of different letters to send to people that wanted them.

Has anyone ever tried speaking to civic groups like Rotary Clubs?

Originally posted by Betheny:

Let me know about your letters. I was thinking of burning cd's of templates of different letters to send to people that wanted them.
    the crpf website has letters u can personalize and click send on web. also, the blue advocacy book from crpf has exaples too. good idea Betheny! Good idea on clubs too. likely congress will be gone in november, but the staffers are the legwork!

Staffers party in November, hosted by VIP Gimp Constituants!! ::shudder::
    We'll need security 4 this one lmao.

Take your hands off my MOJO