Thread: Motorcycle accident- brain injury + double vision

Motorcycle accident- brain injury + double vision

Quick info: ( what the doctors/neuros said about me )
    - Broken left clavical
    - Broken right foot
    - Broken nose ( Severe, whole "bone" sticking out of nose sideways im told )
    - Traumatic brain injury
    - ICU 6 days ( can only remember 3 of the days, though I was talking crazy )

{Wall of text}
    I was in a motorcycle accident about 2 months ago. Car ran a red light and hit me. I was in a coma for 3 days and had a severe concussion and blurred vision. After about a week I started to become more "myself" and got all my cognitive thinking back and (as far as I can tell) Im myself now, also my blurred vision went away at this time too.

But after the blurred vision went I was able to see that one of my eyes has the picture sideways when its open ( Double vision ) its been 2 months, can I rule out that my brain injury is not causing the double vision? Im really scared that I may never get vision to my left eye back, Im just asking for your advice and what you honestly think about it.

{Other info's}
    I have plenty of doct's appointments scheduled. The docts want to see me basically once every 2 weeks for the next 4 months. [ Neuro, plastic, and surgery? Docs]

Double vision: My vision isnt always double, only when looking certain directions

Vision Ok ( with both eyes open )when looking:
    Straight ahead
    To the left/middle
    To the left/up
    straight up

Vision double ( with both eyes open ) when looking:
    Straight down
    Left/down
    Right
    Right/down
    Right/up

I Have an appointment with a neuro ophthalmologis, but its SO FAR AWAY the date... Its like in the middle of may. I feel there is a surgery to realign my site. I Feel like the nerve/muscle is just getting pinched. I feel that waiting so long to even get on the waiting list for an appointment is going to make the nerve/muscle die or get messed up by being pinched so long ( is that a fair thought or do you think I should just adjust to life with one eye? )

(( Was on a similar forum asking this question when it was overwhelmed with people telling me to sue, yes I am sue'ing but the money doesnt mean as much to me as my vision, please dont give legal advice I just want to know if there is any hope for my vision with both eyes again. ))

~Thank you for reading!
    { ( whatever you actually read :P ) }

With a brain injury, double vision is rarely due to muscle imbalance, so surgery on the eye muscle is rarely indicated. It is much more common that this is due to damage to the area of the brain that coordinates muscle movement and/or interprets visual information from the eyes. It is good that you are seeing the neuro-opthomologist, as they are the experts on this. I know it is frustrating to have to wait another 2 months to see this expert, but I would not do anything as far as surgery without consulting with them first, and having a more complete evaluation of your vision issues.

(KLD_)

I had a motorcycle accident more than 10 years ago with a TBI, Stroke and SCI. I had a hard time focusing/double vision too in the beginning, but it all came back after time. For me it just took some time for it to be back to normal with no surgery. It's never fast enough, but hopefully you'll be back in the saddle before too long. Good luck with your recovery!!

My so was in a car accident, under similar circumstances, and had similar vision issues following a C-2 (incomplete) SCI with TBI. He initially saw a neuro optomologist about four months following injury. She told him that there was a procedure that she could so for it but that most of the time, time helps. She was reluctant to correct it at the time because she said that six to 12 months later, she would probably have to go back and fix it again because nature had done its thing. He never needed the procedure and his initial symptoms were so pronounced that you could see the lack of alignment when you looked at him. It was annoying and frustrating for months but he is so glad now that he left it alone. --eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09