Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A generation of idiots?

Yah, you'll think twice about owning a cell/smart phone once an eighteen year old girl hits you head on driving 100% in your lane in a Ford Explorer talking and a cell phone and totaling your van for you with only 22,000 miles it.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

What really scares me is the touch screen interfaces and if you could get texting, internet on them while driving. I just got off the phone with apple and found out the damn phone can sense if someone has upgraded their phone and that's why the text is in a different color box. The poor idiot was computer smart and taking welding classes, at least I could give him pointers on that and we had a nice talk, the brats father is younger than me. Joke is he doesn't even own Apple products, and you work for them, and know all this s*&t?????

At thanksgiving this year the room was full of every age group from 17-70 seemed like a normal family gathering until after dinner i looked up and 18 of the 25 people in the room faces were lit up from the white light of their "smart phones" for the next 30 minutes!! no after dinner chit chat just an almost eerie quiet... I thought to myself how sad

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I saw an article a while back that suggested a wager of sorts. When out to dinner or drinks, pile all the phones on the center of the table. The first one to pick theirs up before the check comes pays the tab.
    Yup. The "Phone Stack."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2296118/

I really think the gov. has to make it mandatory that all phones shut down functions when the gps sensor sense motion, too many people having accidents driving either while talking or texting. My car does this with the GPS, I think that's a good thing, you can't enter in anything when the vehicle is in motion.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    But, don't all of you know it is the over 60s and 70s crowd (from a thread here a few days ago)...
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=217297&page=2

I don't like to pit the generations against one another, but I just couldn't resist this once. Besides, I had an unfortunate failure of my Roho cushion (two hours into a 4 hour car trip to a funeral-spontaneous leak in cushion with only the Roho pump and stopping every 30 minutes to pump up the cushion, of course turned around and came home--argghhh!!!) that has put me in bed with all pressure off for a time, and I am a bit owly!

All the best,

GJ
    Who does he think got and cured aids, got the ADA passed, and struggled thru the racial unrest and change period? That would be the people in their 60s and 70s.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    A teenage son of a friend of mine has known me for a long time. When a few of us are hanging out at the campfire in the evening, anything can be discussed. Once he asked me one day how did I know so much, I replied that listening to people talk, working at different jobs around the country and reading books helped me learn a lot about the world. Must have paid off some as he graduated with a masters in electronics.

No cell phone service at camp and everyone hangs out around the fire. Tons of wisdom is passed around on nights like these. The kids learn a lot about life and themselves, hunting, fishing and exploring in the national forest. Hope it continues as every generation has grown up well and most are doing better than their parents.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

They're considering a policy at work for all dispatchers/officers to dump their smart phones at the door and officers only to use work ones during their shift.

I can see why ... but wow harsh.

I once had a mormon friend who told me the internet was 'the beast.' lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    They're considering a policy at work for all dispatchers/officers to dump their smart phones at the door and officers only to use work ones during their shift.

I can see why ... but wow harsh.

I once had a mormon friend who told me the internet was 'the beast.' lol
    Maybe it really is the beast. We do kind of seem to want to worship it.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I thank God cell phones are stricty prohibited in my workplace, unfortunately ignorant young people are not prohibited also but im working on it one step at a time.