Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant accidents

Constant accidents

So I used to be able to cath every 4 hours and not have too many leakage problems. But the last month or so its all the time, no matter how often or how much. Not on anything atm, suggestions?
    T6 complete since 3/21/2012

Have you had a urine culture to rule out an infection?

Are you taking a lot of caffeine in your diet?

Any med changes?

When did you last have urodynamics??

(KLD)

I havent gotten a urine culture because I feel fine, idk if you always have to feel sick to have a uti
    No caffeine at all and no med changes
    And no urodynamics yet since I havent even been injuried a year yet

Are you taking any anticholinergic medications, i.e., oxybutynin, Enablex, Toviaz, Ditropan, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Vesicare, Detrol, Sanctura. These meds can help reduce spasms that can cause leakage. If you find that these kinds of medications help (the side effects can be difficult), after getting urodynamics studies done, you can think about having bladder Botox done.

Many changes can occur during this first year. Then also be aware that you will have various changes with neurogenic bladder and bowels over your lifetime and you will be adjusting you care as you age with a spinal cord injury.

All the best,
    GJ

We do urodynamics at 6 months, not a year. By that time most people have resolved their full spinal shock and their true neurogenic bladder type and characteristics are in place.

I assume you are not on any anticholenergics (as above)??

(KLD)

i'e had this problem for the past several years. no one knows why it happens. all i can say is document, document, document and perhaps a pattern will emerge. the problem typicaly is that by the time u see a dr, the issue has passed and so you get back to square 1
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Thanks for all the replies. I am only on gabapentin and doc-q-lace, which ideally is the way I'd like to keep it(but I can't be peeing myself all the time either). and my urologist said it was too soon at 6 months. sounds like it needs to be done

This happened to my son and he had a couple of bladder stones. Also, it happened when he was on a generic drug for Ditropan XL. He has to be on the name brand. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am only on gabapentin and doc-q-lace, which ideally is the way I'd like to keep it(but I can't be peeing myself all the time either). and my urologist said it was too soon at 6 months. sounds like it needs to be done
    I think you really need to try an anticholinergic. These drugs help relax the bladder, increasing capacity and reducing contractions that cause leakage. They work by blocking nerve signals that activate muscle activity. Frequently prescribed medications are oxybutynin, Enablex, Toviaz, Ditropan, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Vesicare, Detrol, Sanctura. Your urologist should know that these drugs can help the neurogenic bladder. If your urologist thinks it is too early to have urodynamics done, he should at least try to help you with the leakage problem by trying anticholinergics. Yes there are some side effects, but if you start out on a low dose and add more medication slowing, just until the leakage stops, you may be on a minimum dose with low effects. If the side effects are just too much for you, bladder Botox is another option.

All the best,
    GJ

One word: suprapubic
    C4 incomplete since 1985