Thread: Understanding Urinalysis / Culture

Understanding Urinalysis / Culture

I had a UA and culture done recently and I have some questions regarding the results.

The results say:

Multiple organisms present, each less than 10,000 CFU/mL. These organisms,commonly found on external and internal genitalia are considered to be colonizers. No further testing performed.

What does this mean? I had a UTI that was treated but I still have some symptoms like increased spasticity and increased neuro pain. Could this still be causing me issues?

Thanks,
    Jason

The lab is saying that the specimen appears to have been contaminated by skin flora (bacteria), and does not represent the bladder bacteria. Was this a cathed specimen or voided??? Was it taken from a drainage bag???

If it was a cathed specimen and collected in a sterile cup, then it should have been marked this way, and the lab should have run it anyway. We had to educate our lab about this for SCI patients as well. You most likely need to talk to your provider (who ordered the test) and get them to talk to the lab...and they will need a new specimen.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The lab is saying that the specimen appears to have been contaminated by skin flora (bacteria), and does not represent the bladder bacteria. Was this a cathed specimen or voided??? Was it taken from a drainage bag???

If it was a cathed specimen and collected in a sterile cup, then it should have been marked this way, and the lab should have run it anyway. We had to educate our lab about this for SCI patients as well. You most likely need to talk to your provider (who ordered the test) and get them to talk to the lab...and they will need a new specimen.

(KLD)
    It was a cathed sample and collected from a sterile collection bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    It was a cathed sample and collected from a sterile collection bag.
    Was it labeled as such? Always make sure the lab is aware of how the sample was collected.

My doctor has written my standing order for urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) so that the orders require the lab to run the C&S no matter what the outcome of the UA is.

All the best,
    GJ

I had symptoms of UTI, UA showed same as yours, but had DR. Who knew me, had them culture it anyway. Proteus Mirabeleus (sp) grew out right away, had to be treated.