Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost and confused

Lost and confused

Hi Everyone,
    I’ve been trying to find a light wheelchair. As I was on the Sportaid website I found 2 Tilite options. The first is the ZRA superlite edition. The 2nd is the standard edition of the TR3. I found (if I am doing things correctly) that the TR standard edition is around $3200 and the ZRA superlite edition is $3400. The post I read about the super lite edition said that it saves about 1.5lbs, which tells me the weight of the 2 is similar. Are there benefits to one over the other? I want to make a good choice. Am I missing something?
    Lost and confused,
    Steve

TiLite makes rigid and folding wheelchairs from either aluminum or titanium.

The ZRA and TR are both rigid chairs made with titanium. The ZRA is an open-frame (aka 'Z' or cantilever frame), and it has a field-adjustable rear-seat height (RSH). The TR is a box frame, and it has a fixed RSH. The TR is a great chair, but only if you really know what exact measurements you need. The ZRA is a far better choice if you're not absolutely positive what you want/need. Or, if you prefer a box frame, but want an adjustable RSH, consider the new TiLite AeroT.

Wheelchair manufacturers play a cut-throat game with weights. The primary weights on extremely light wheelchairs are the accessories (including the wheels and cushion). When comparing weights, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Saving a few pounds on a wheelchair can cost thousands of dollars.

I have a TiLite AeroZ (Series 1). I believe its advertised frame (aka transport) weight is about 14#. When I put on my wire wheels, cushion, antitippers, 5" (instead of 3") casters, aluminum side-guards, aluminum seatpan, and wheel locks, it weighs about 36#. Yep . . . all those parts are accessories; they're not included in the frame weight. (I stand to load my chair, so I don't need an extremely light chair.) Keeping those accessories light (i.e. carbon fiber) costs money.

If insurance is involved in chair payment, you need to know that the terms "ultra-light," and "lightweight" (and variations thereof) are often misused throughout the industry. Instead of those terms, insurance companies use "K" codes when they consider payment and reimbursement approvals/denials. Steel-frame chairs are generally coded K0004 and below; Aluminum-frame chairs are generally K0005; Titanium-, Magnesium-, and carbonfiber-frame chairs are generally K0009. Every manual wheelchair for sale in the USA is assigned a 'K' code (look for it in their literature). The ZRA and TR are both K0009. TiLite's Aero line is K0005 (aluminum).
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-11-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I just found your thread in the Veterans' forum. Your friend's best choice would be to get self educated about manual wheelchairs then work with the VA to obtain what he truly needs. VA views K0004 chairs as temporary-use chairs (e.g., while a broken leg heals, or post-surgery recovery). VA views K0005 and K0009 chairs as permanent-use chairs (e.g., SCI, chronic condition). For vets who must lift their chairs with their shoulders, K0009s are typically provided.

Some VA centers are not well educated regarding VA wheelchair policies, but VA has publications about all this, and local VA employees will gladly comply when they're shown the documentation. (Wheelchairs fall under the VA's Prosthetics Dept.)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-11-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Of course, you may want to consider the Icon, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks Chas,
    I’m just trying to look at all my options and educate myself as much as possible. Should I be looking at the ZR? WOW, this is a big task.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevecr View Post
    , this is a big task.
    Yep!!

The ZR is a non-adjustable ZRA (for TiLite, 'A' means adjustable RSH).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Many CCC users (including me) like TiLite chairs. So I recommend you start your learning process around TiLite chairs; they offer typical styles of chairs. Other manufacturers have their unique offerings, but TiLite offers all the basics.

The exception to this idea is the Icon, which is unique among manual wheelchairs because of its ability to be extensively adjusted/configured.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

this may sound ignorant (and I am with the wheelchair stuff lol) what is adjustable about these chairs?
    Steve

Are you talking about the Icon ?

no, I'm talking about the same Tilite wheelchairs. When they say one chair is adjustable and another is not, how is it adjustable? the RSH?