Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of caregiver pay

Speaking of caregiver pay

After reading this I do not feel too badly about how much I pay my caregivers.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
    The fastest growing job in America pays poorly. Meet home health care aides.

These nearly 2 million (mostly minorities and women) workers do everything from prepare meals and clean homes, to bathe and change bedpans for elderly and disabled patients.

As Baby Boomers age, this job is expected to explode, growing 70% between 2010 and 2020, according to the Labor Department. That makes it the single fastest growing job in the United States, according to their forecasts.

Call it the silver tsunami. Roughly every eight seconds, a Baby Boomer turns 65. And that has led to surging demand for in-home care.
    "This isn't just a surge, a one-time hiring spurt. This is something we will do this year and into the future," said Paul Hogan, chairman of Home Instead Senior Care, which alone plans to hire 45,000 caregivers in North America this year. "It's all driven by the growth in the senior population."

But even though there are plenty of job opportunities, many of these people make the same wage as teenagers flipping burgers or selling clothes at the mall. The average hourly wage is just $9.70 an hour, according to the Labor Department.

Read the full article here:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/11/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    ... many of these people make the same wage as teenagers flipping burgers or selling clothes at the mall. The average hourly wage is just $9.70 an hour...[/URL]
    I always hate those comparisons. I have degree in Physics and have worked most of my life as an engineer. The last job in the world I'd want is working at a fast food restaurant. I don't see basic caregiving as any more difficult or valuable than any other customer service position. They can all be hard jobs and need to be done well to have happy customers and a successful business.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    I always hate those comparisons. I have degree in Physics and have worked most of my life as an engineer. The last job in the world I'd want is working at a fast food restaurant. I don't see basic caregiving as any more difficult or valuable than any other customer service position. They can all be hard jobs and need to be done well to have happy customers and a successful business.
    I disagree. Home health aides and personal caregivers have to work independently, are expected to recognizes issues well above their pay grade (skin sores, respiratory distress, general health issues), and often have access to people's homes, vehicles, credit cards, and medications.

The current debate around the DOL overtime exemption brings up another whole set of issues. I agree with ADAPT on this, until Medicaid can compensate agencies for overtime there is no way the exemption can be lifted with adversely effecting the clients.

You get what you pay for. My crew is worth top dollar.

There is an interesting state-by-state comparison of household employee pay rates here: http://www.gtm.com/gtm_household/nanny_wage_rates.html
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

So just how much should one paid a caregiver? I'm right at the beginning stages where I'm going to need to start hiring outside help. But I can't afford to pay lets say $15 an hour or $12 for two hours in the morning and two hours at night seven days a week. I'm between that proverbial rock and hard place too much monthly income to qualify for Medical and not enough to pay for care and the basics of living.

Being a C 4/5 quad I'm getting to the point where I've just about had enough!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    So just how much should one paid a caregiver? I'm right at the beginning stages where I'm going to need to start hiring outside help. But I can't afford to pay lets say $15 an hour or $12 for two hours in the morning and two hours at night seven days a week. I'm between that proverbial rock and hard place too much monthly income to qualify for Medical and not enough to pay for care and the basics of living.

I'm in the same situation with income and also C 4/5.

I am in a state waver program for PCA's called the "Personal Assistance Service Program" (PASP). They pay $12/hour and I also pay my regular PCA's a bonus about three times a year. Many states have similar, but slightly different programs. There is no maximum income level to qualify, but you may pay a cost share from 0% to 20% depending on your income.

See http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dds/projects/pasp/

Check your state Division of Disability Services, if you have one, for a waver progrom. Usually under the State Department of Human Services.

Unfortunately the program in NJ is cutting back on services due to the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    There is an interesting state-by-state comparison of household employee pay rates here: http://www.gtm.com/gtm_household/nanny_wage_rates.html
    North Dakota & Alabama. Interesting outliers

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    Live in central California we pay our caregiver-$10.50/hr ($500 at Christmas)we are very lucky to have her. She has been with us for 3yrs now. She also cooks,cleans,goes shopping,irons,washes all the clothes.
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Blog Entries

Cowboy, what do you do for help in between

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post

What do you do for help between morning and evening hours?