Thread: incomplete or complete' Dr Young

incomplete or complete' Dr Young

HI my son is 16 and he was told he was complete.His accident was oct 24 2004, He can now feel his butt,his back.he feels p[ain on his legs if he bumps them and he recently moved his legs and his toes they are week but he moved them,so what does that make him we wre so new to this thanks...

Hi Aidia, Welcome to CC, sorry about your son. It probably don't seem like it but it's early and hopefully the return your seeing will continue.

Someone will correct me if wrong, if he has rectul feeling he is incomplete.

remember it's early

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Hi leo. thanks for your reply he doesnt have rectal feeling whati meant he feels his butt cheeks and he can squeeze some but muscles.is that a good sign?what do you mean its to early?

All those things, feeling, movment still coming are great sihns and it has only been around 8 months, so it is to early to think or believe he will not get more.

so keep working hard at therapy and if your in the U.S. please help us pass the Chris Reeve's Paralysis Act.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

These changes sound very good. I had noticeable and steady improvements for over two years. It has now been 11 years since my injury and I am still getting improvements. Don't give up.

Aida, he sounds "incomplete" to me. I don't like the word "complete" because it is sometimes used to take away hope. The fact that he does not have rectal sensation means that he is still classified by the American Spinal Cord Injury Association classification system as ASIA A. This simply means that he does not have anal sensation or voluntary contraction of his anal sphincter. While some may choose to call this "complete", I think that the name is less important than the fact that he is getting function back. Wise.

Hello Aida. Sorry about your son. Are you a filipina? I am an incomplete quad, but highly functional. I was injured dec. of last year. I can walk but every step is an effort. I was trying to look for some support group in Phils., unfortunately i find none.This site was very helpful to me.

what does that make him? I would say a very lucky young man. Sounds like he is doing very well for such an early injury. He can have return up to 2 years and some people say even after that. But I think that if he can squeeze his butt, move his legs and move his toes, that is absolutely great. He needs to really keep doing therapy and get the most he can out of his return. Work Hard.

Some ships sail east, some ships sail west, both by the same breeze blown. It is the set of the sail and not the gail that determines the direction blown.