Thread: need some guidance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

need some guidance

I am going to be trying to help out a guy that has been injured almost a year now. Our injury levels are different so I was wondering if someone with his level of injury could help me out as to what his abilities should be. I am a T7/8 complete and he is a T3 complete. How much difference would there be between his an my abilities? For example are there mussels that I have control over that he does not? Things like that.....

All other things equal, the difference in injury levels between T3 and T7 is not significant.

You have most of your intercostal muscles (those between the ribs) which help with deep breaths. You also have more back muscles which help with balance and flexibility, as well as lifting (especially the trapezius) using the arms. He is more at risk for autonomic dysreflexia than you are.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You have most of your intercostal muscles (those between the ribs) which help with deep breaths. You also have more back muscles which help with balance and flexibility, as well as lifting (especially the trapezius) using the arms. He is more at risk for autonomic dysreflexia than you are.

(KLD)
    Thanks for the info I do not want to be ignorant of what he should be able to do and or expect him to preform at my level if it is unreasonable to do so....

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    While there's a difference in abilities within the population of T3s (and T8s) one thing is for certain, neither has disruption of the nerve supply to the trapezius muscle which arise from above the lesion level.

Nerve Supply: Cervical Spinal Accessory Nerve (Cranial nerve XI), C3, C4.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    While there's a difference in abilities within the population of T3s (and T8s) one thing is for certain, neither has disruption of the nerve supply to the trapezius muscle which arise from above the lesion level.

Nerve Supply: Cervical Spinal Accessory Nerve (Cranial nerve XI), C3, C4.
    Stephen, of course you are right. I misspoke. I should have talked instead about the serratus, semispinalis, and spinalis.

(KLD)