Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I live, angry.

I find myself getting irrationally angry over trivialities sometimes, but mostly I just feel numb to everything. I'm not sure which is worse.

Feeding wolves, poking bears...nice as philosophy, but just more Oprah-isms when you have zero ability to release anger physically or do anything as an independent adult.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    My jerkoff evening, retired reverend attendant decided he was going to visit kin in Montana for 2 weeks. I only have 2 other PCA's and they work other jobs so can not fill in. I would love to punch this asshole out. We all sure do know angry.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    I find myself getting irrationally angry over trivialities sometimes, but mostly I just feel numb to everything. I'm not sure which is worse.

Feeding wolves, poking bears...nice as philosophy, but just more Oprah-isms when you have zero ability to release anger physically or do anything as an independent adult.
    Yes, but no. This fable has come up a lot recently in the meditation group/community that I've been attending. It captures real truth but I concede that it may come across as facile on a message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    snip ... "Quadriplegic Model Building" ... snip.
    Hey! That's what I did when I came home from the hospital to strengthen my manual dexterity. I built scale auto models. Sanding the parts and gluing them were a challenge.

But what really help strengthen my manual dexterity was cross-stitching. Try threading a needle with a piece of thread then sew "x" and make a picture! It's not as easy as it looks but it was one form of therapy I used to strengthen my hands for writing.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

You know what I am more afraid of? Dying angry. Dying unresolved .. and that's exactly what will happen.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

You want to get rid of the anger, at least temporarily? Do something that scares the shit out of you. Survival reflex easily trumps the anger and when you come out the other side you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    You know what I am more afraid of? Dying angry. Dying unresolved .. and that's exactly what will happen.
    Only with your willing complicity....

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post

Tara Brach is a meditation teacher and clinical psychologist. By pure coincidence this morning, I discovered that this talk also includes the wolf fable but it's packed with much more context and the overall theme of the discussion is in perfect tune with this thread.

Stephen's avatar brought to mind this song. Though it isn't really about anger, it does, like most of Harrison's work, have to do with contemplation and change.

Sometimes, when I can pull out of the paranoia enough to leave the house, I find the best thing is to take my dog out and sit at the edge of the driveway. It isn't much interaction, but having the dog walkers and the family walkers stop briefly to say hi to my puppy (who is the sweetest dog in the neighborhood.) I don't feel as threatened because the people who stop are saying hello to him, I'm not the center of attention.

I honestly would not have made it this far without him.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.