Thread: Porch Potty for Service dog?

Question Porch Potty for Service dog?

Need some reviews if possible! Has anyone used a product called the Porch Potty for their dog? I'm getting a Service dog in April, very excited! Since it takes so long to get ready in the morning I was thinking of getting this product called the Porch Potty. It's used for people who live in Condo's or Apt's. I figured I could let the dog go out to use the Porch Potty to do his business, the time It takes to make my first coffee the dog would be done & I would be ready to go do my business. Then take him for a walk.
    Has anyone used this or know of anyone who has? Any feed back would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Most service dogs should be trained to eliminate on command, so if you're going for a walk in the morning anyway it would be much easier to give the command for them to eliminate in your yard just before the walk.

I use "go potty" as the command but many people use an unusual word. Ask the organization if the dog will already be trained to eliminate on command and what the word will be. Its actually a pretty important command for SDs so they can potty before something long such as a flight or the beginning of a work day.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

It's pretty much just what Lin says. For my SD, when we stay somewhere without a yard, I do just let him go when we get up and go outside on the way to the car or whatever. Your SD should be able to wait until you get out of the house to go, and should go on command. A friend of mine at the organization I got my dog from went on a cruise last year, he used this thing called a potty patch which is basically astroturf with a collecting tray, but for daily use that sort of thing would probably be a bit much more trouble to clean than it's worth.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

I had a dog once that self-trained a behavior that I found interesting and useful. Once, for whatever reason, she was not able to go outside when she needed to go, she climbed in the tub to eliminate. In her elder years when she couldn't hold her bladder well, I used to leave the shower open when I was at work.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

It seems to me that it would be alot like paper training. My shi tzu was paper trained and never forgot. If she just couldn't hold it she would go to the rug by the door and go. But the older she got she lost control. My little pekinese will hold it forever.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

When Tessa was young if she couldn't hold it she would go near the back door and go, I was grateful for that since it was on the tile and not carpet lol. Was helpful in times she was sick. As she got older she got to where she would just hold it crazy long periods, if she's sick she lets me know she needs to go out. When I'M sick some times I worry about how long its been since the dogs were last out! Can lose track of time easily when sick yourself.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I had a dog once that self-trained a behavior that I found interesting and useful. Once, for whatever reason, she was not able to go outside when she needed to go, she climbed in the tub to eliminate. In her elder years when she couldn't hold her bladder well, I used to leave the shower open when I was at work.
    you have an Anatolian there in your avatar. I got an Anatolian shepherd at a shelter, and he is training up well to be a service dog.