Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do quads use computers in bed?

Quote Originally Posted by jwr18 View Post
    I am a c4/5 quad and this is how I use my computer in my bed. First of all I have a LED/LCD TV. I have my laptop plugged into it via a HDMI cable. You can use pretty much any desktop computer/laptop that has HDMI/D sub out. I use 2 input devices voice recognition
    I'm a C5/6 n use an almost identical setup minus speech recognition. For a keyboard I have always used Adesso KB's with the built in touchpad. Wayyy better than having a heavy/hot laptop on ur lap. They make wireless n wired. I prefer wired lately cuz changing batteries is annoying n the wires easier to grab onto when reaching. They go from $25-$55 slightly used on ebay or $50 - $80 new.

Last edited by Padred123; 03-14-2013 at 12:28 AM.

I use DragonDictate with a program called http://wdpsoftware.com/ IR Command2 which allows me to control all my AV equipment. It will also do X 10 with the correct dongle.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

I've been doing this forever. I have an over the bed table with my laptop on the right side. I can still see my knees and I make sure it's not digging into anything. To type I use Dragon and to navigate I have a trackball sitting on a book on the right side of my butt. Works like a charm.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I've mentioned this before, but TwelveSouth's HoverBar is a firm gooseneck holder for an iPad.

If you are using a computer, not a tablet, jwr18 nailed it with using a TV for a display. If your eyes, like mine, need something closer, many computer monitors (and the newest iMac for the apple folks) have a VESA connection clamp which will allow you to use a swing-out arm to get the monitor out of the way when it is not in use.

A lightweight bluetooth keyboard will keep you from tangling yourself in cords. (Almost) all bluetooth keyboards are compatible with any brand of computer. The main exception to this is some of the very latest devices are using "low power" bluetooth to extend battery life. You can use a bluetooth keyboard with a tablet or smartphone as well.

My personal favorite wireless keyboard is the Apple Wireless Keyboard (available in many regional and language setups) and the Apple Magic Trackpad combined with TwelveSouth's Magic Wand. Moving the trackpad to either the left or the right side of the keyboard helps me avoid unintentional use of the trackpad with my wrists. With my palsy, I get that a lot with the standard front keyboard.

For those who have difficulty with a trackpad, a trackball can be an outstanding alternative.

Finally, it sucks being stuck in bed. If you have the mobility to transfer to a chair but need a chair with a lot more support than a normal one, the HumanTouch Zero Gravity Recliner is nothing short of amazing. It keeps pressure off your ass and still allows a natural hand position for typing.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

For you all who are using DragonDictate... which DragonDictate are you referring to?

I'm using a really old version, DragonDictate Classic Edition, which is copyrighted 1993-1997 and was abandoned by its developers in favor of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I first started using DragonDictate with Windows 98, and actually have it working well on Windows XP. Is anyone else using this really old program?

Or are you referring to Dragon Dictate for Mac?

Incidentally, Windows XP will only be supported for about 10 more months (roughly; I think) and my favorite old program (DragonDictate Classic) won't run on Windows 7 or 8 (I assume not on Windows 8 because it won't run on Windows 7). So I'm preparing to switch to NaturallySpeaking, and found some helpful software that makes NaturallySpeaking much more user-friendly for hands-free operation.

I wrote about it here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=227457
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Currently I have an intranet with one PC that handles the CCTV’s (7) and X10 automation lights. Control them by remote login or PCAnywhere

My doorbell rings line 2 of my phone and acts as an intercom. Have a combination lock on front door and can let people in by opening the garage door with remote. There is one CCTV at my front door.

Dragon speak is installed with a Senheiser Microphone, though don’t use them like the keyboard and Kensington trackball.

Has a wireless HP All in one on intranet and Cannon Laser B&W printer..

Use it 90% while on my left side and may listen to book or TV Tuner fed by an antenna when laying on my back.

Subscribe to Netflix and WSJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Currently I have an intranet with one PC that handles the CCTV’s (7) and X10 automation lights. Control them by remote login or PCAnywhere

My doorbell rings line 2 of my phone and acts as an intercom. Have a combination lock on front door and can let people in by opening the garage door with remote. There is one CCTV at my front door.

Dragon speak is installed with a Senheiser Microphone, though don’t use them like the keyboard and Kensington trackball.

Has a wireless HP All in one on intranet and Cannon Laser B&W printer..

Use it 90% while on my left side and may listen to book or TV Tuner fed by an antenna when laying on my back.

Subscribe to Netflix and WSJ.
    Nice setup mate!

I got a pressure sore on one elbow; apparently Im needing some other way. Its getting better, but I had to cut down a lot. Im grounded until I get repaired again. Im going to get fat on predinisone, and still not even get to pig out. I gained weight after my blood clot, spent too many times sliding down the couch and pulling myself back up with my elbows. Im not diagnosed as a quad. I have a bad arm and hand though, and neck problems that make me look like a quad. about the same mobility as a "walking quad" so Im ok with responding.

Iv gotten a chromebook. I got the Samsung. It is tiny, terribly fast, cheap, and you can change positions, and actually use it easier because it is so light and also has no heat. (2nd and 3rd degree burns with my first laptop)

I think using the chromebook might be the key to bedtime carecure computing. It has made things safer for me anyway. I use a regular tv tray next to the bed or my day nest. as well as hold it on my lap or on a tray.

The chromebook has been most useful after I tuck in.

my hands are too clumsy to use a tablet touch screen. if you can use one of those, that works too. Its easier not to be caught not changing position like you might if using a heavy laptop or pc situated on one side of you.

Is there a good iPad mount that attaches to the bed rail? One of these days I have got to a) learn how to use the thing for more than browsing, e-mail, and a few games, and b) have it available overnight.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.