Thread: pinprick deal

pinprick deal

So i tried to look at the forum but its still unclear to me. What is the point of pinprick? Pain? I do feel it some places but not all. When i do cause some pain to my LE my muscles tense up. Whats that an indicator of ? Same with cold e-stim pads. When i glue it on my left leg whole right leg tenses up. Your experiences? And i am L1 incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    So i tried to look at the forum but its still unclear to me. What is the point of pinprick? Pain? I do feel it some places but not all. When i do cause some pain to my LE my muscles tense up. Whats that an indicator of ? Same with cold e-stim pads. When i glue it on my left leg whole right leg tenses up. Your experiences? And i am L1 incomplete.
    Just an indicator of messed up sensory neuron connections.

Different sensations travel up different paths in the spinal cord to the brain. Pin prick is testing your pain sensation, which is on a different path than soft touch and different than proprioception, or temperature, or vibration, etc. It is important to know where pain is absent because this is where you're at risk for injury (namely skin breakdown.) So if you are L1 incomplete, you may use braces to walk. Those areas that can't feel pain have to be extra cautious to not get sores.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.