Thread: Work

Work

I have been asked to go back to work 3 days a week. I said yes but have my doubts. Everyday is still a struggle with pain and adding work into the pictrue seems daunting. I tried working about 6 months ago and couldn't handle it. I am a little better at coping now with the pain but still worry that work will be to much. How have others found returning to work. Life should be easier than this and it should be simple choice to want to work.

After two surgeries and being on/off work insurance and salary (effed up my taxes big time!), my doctor and I decided 8hrs a day with some other specifications is what I needed ... my employer was gracious enough to accommodate and understand that I am aging with paralysis. I'm very open right down to the nitty-gritty with my bladder etc and what is going on so they understand I am doing all I can. I made efforts to seek out better care - even at my cost.

8hrs per day only.

12hrs if I have two days off afterwards to recover (they basically use me as a last resort - I've only had two in a year).

They also understand I'm coming back from some lengthy illness and I am on my own. They've been very good to me.

I always keep it honest. Just take it slowly - nothing to prove anymore. Just do your best. Good luck with it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Work is a God send! I'd go back if it works for you.

Thanks for the advice. I just wish it was easier.

I am working part time anywhere from 9 - 24 hours a week. Keeping up with the home chores and everything can be a bit tough but I'm glad to be working! So far I have not had to leave work due to my pain but it's been close a few times.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Steve - I know how you feel. Working is a major goal of mine but getting there & actually working (full-time) seems like a huge "hill to climb". I'm worried if I could do it...

Realistically, in order to work I'll need to apply for Medicaid's Buy-In program since I need assistance getting dressed, transferring, etc etc (I have SSDI now). There aren't so many promising part-time jobs but I'm going to apply for a really promising full-time civil service job with New York State that has good benefits & health insurance. I don't drive so I'd have to do a mix of the public transportation that's intended for people in wheelchairs & finding a driver for my mini-van.

I'm worried if I could go for being home each day, not working...to working full time at a state job. I have bad chronic pain but getting out every day may give me a distraction. I just don't want to spend the rest of my "working years" on disability.

Any others quads with upper-level injuries work or want to work?
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust