Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just in case you're ever in a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Liz, which insurance company wrote your policy?
    It's pretty much everyone down here. We put faith in the agents, we never read the full pages and TRUSTED people. Our own demise.

Just saying that everyone NEEDS to look at their policies, talk with their agents and see where your coverage is ON PAPER, that goes for your adapted car/van too.

Just writing my Disaster for Dummies book as there isn't one and if/when a disaster comes you are actually ahead of the game.

Truly 100 extra a year may save you thousands if Mother nature f*cks you. A tiny spider crosses your electrical panel, you are robbed, have a rental property?

Is your attendant covered should he/she fall down your steps and sue you?

Just things to consider before you have to consider them. Do NOT wait.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I learned something about home insurance this year. My house got appraised by the insurance company at twice what I could reasonably expect to sell it for. The interesting thing is that if I insured it for what I could sell if for, if I say had a tree fall on my house insurance would only pay for half the damage. I was able to negotiate it down by about 20% and still get full coverage but if your house is worth "X" and the insurance company says it is worth 2X and you only insure it for X you will only get paid half on any claim.
    In florida you have to insure your house for full value. The insurance companies have a chart of each area what it would cost to build the home by the square footage then multiply the square footage of your home.

I have both my house and property insured through the same company (USAA). My house is insured for the rebuild cost, not the resale value. Knowing that in the event of a total catastrophe, I am going to have the same house again is a reassuring feeling.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    In florida you have to insure your house for full value. The insurance companies have a chart of each area what it would cost to build the home by the square footage then multiply the square footage of your home.
    Yeah, that formula is what is screwing me. My house has a lot of square footage but it's design is very open (my kitchen has 35ft high ceilings) so the square footage to cost formula is not accurate.