Thread: Job hunting tactics

Job hunting tactics

I am a l1 paraplegia complete looking for a job in either journalism or public relations. Should you mention the disability in a cover letter or resume?

I wouldn't mention it because you would be less likely to get an interview. After your interview is scheduled call and ask the person if the building is wheelchair accessible because you use a chair. That's the way I always handled it.

TJC,

I wouldn't mention anything about your disability in your resume or cover letter. What does that have to do with you job qualifications? Unless you're applying for an ADA building consultant, I'd guess nothing.

Good luck to you.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Sorry to cut in on your topic, but I also have a question. I'm applying for a job today and on the application it asks me "Do you have a disability which will affect your ability to perform any of the functions of the position for which you have applied?" I wouldn't say that I do besides the obvious can't reach something high up, stuff like that. Should I put no?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

I have not mentioned anything about my disability in any coverletter or my resume.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz1989 View Post
    Sorry to cut in on your topic, but I also have a question. I'm applying for a job today and on the application it asks me "Do you have a disability which will affect your ability to perform any of the functions of the position for which you have applied?" I wouldn't say that I do besides the obvious can't reach something high up, stuff like that. Should I put no?
    I too have ran into the same situation on a few applications too. I contacted my voc rehab counselor and she didn't think that the question was even allowed on any application. She was going to do some checking and get back to me.
    Mimi

I too have ran into the same situation on a few applications too. I contacted my voc rehab counselor and she didn't think that the question was even allowed on any application. She was going to do some checking and get back to me.[/QUOTE]

I guess it's worth mentioning that on this certain application it does say the section about this is optional to fill out. I kinda feel obligated to let them know though...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

Uncle Sam Wants You!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz1989 View Post
    snip... "Do you have a disability which will affect your ability to perform any of the functions of the position for which you have applied?" ...snip.
    That kind of question I would leave blank. That is an illegal question to have on an application. I've been down this path already. Even though its already 2013 I still feel there is job discrimination in the work force either disability, sex, age, race, religion, etc. It still happens.

For non-government jobs I would state nothing referring to your disability or any organizations you were appointed to or disability group you are in. Rule of thumb, non-government job zero disability related topics, items or words.

Once you have been called by a company and they are interested in you and they ask you to come in for an interview? You set up the time, date and place. Once that is established then you have the power in your hands to ask, "Is your building/facility wheelchair accessible?" Yes, it's 2013 and everybody should comply to the ADA but some companies don't until they get a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice to comply. That is how some companies work.

During the interview the company has no legal rights to ask you about your disability, period. You have to listen carefully because the company will ask you about workplace modifications and these types of questions are legal to ask from the employer. Disability related questions, no. If asked about your disability, do not answer the question. You have to exercise your 5th Amendment Right. The right to remain silent. Just stay silent. You are safe.

Now, if you are applying for a U.S. Government position/job you have to state you have a disability because your application/résumé goes to a different department and you are hired under a "special hiring authority." This is what pulls you into the organization. It is safe to talk about disability organizations you were appointed to and special disability related groups you are in or you won a disability type of award for outstanding student/attendance/employee ... U.S. Government likes to read about this kind stuff on your résumé or job application.

Working for U.S. Government is great! Nice benefits, paid holidays, retirement plans, tele work, paid training at college or university (job related), great pay, travel and they cover all work site modifications. Believe me, "Uncle Sam Wants You!"

https://www.usajobs.gov/

Here's a job for you!

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/328085500

Apply.

Under the "special hiring authority" means you don't have pick X amount of pounds or pass a physical but if you do have a criminal record you must answer that question because the U.S. Government agency will do a background check. You may fail to get the position if you fail a background check.

You just may work on projects that are just out of this world!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 03-07-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: résumé
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."