Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raise home

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    My city was destroyed. FEMA requirements state our homes will need to be raised. I'm attempting to work with those that have lost everything as they rebuild. Funding is drying up if anyone qualifies at all.

I've been asked by some local volunteers about access to these structures so those of us with mobility issues aren't excluded. When I go to a meeting I like to be prepared with examples of what others have found successful and what has failed. People learn from each other.

If you read tone in this, yup, there is. Hey, take 5 minutes and look at my life and ask again about urgency. Perhaps you were unaware of my circumstance. If so then, I apologize for the alleged tone, as we don't read everyone's post and I don't know your life circumstances either.

Thanks.

http://vimeo.com/59924639 or google any Sandy/Long Beach NY and see what I encounter each day then add your SCI and well you may sense the urgency as well.
    Slow down. No, I don't read every post here. I didn't realize this was in regard to rebuilding efforts. Showing examples at a meeting is one thing, but what you asked for is pretty in-depth, and [as alluded to by others] should be directed toward a local professional who knows the codes/regulations that need to be followed.

Good Luck Liz. I've followed your story here and on another media and can't believe what you are all going through.
    Reaching out and asking for suggestions anywhere is a smart idea. You never know where a good suggestion or experience will pop up when a lines is tossed out.
    Ignore the smug replies you might get.

Liz, I don't really think that pictures of my home are any practical use to you. But as a measure of my appreciation for your situation, here's a few.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Do a google search for "raised coastal homes"
    here's one of many.
    http://www.thehouseplanshop.com/21/1...ouse-plans.php

Good luck.
    DIGG.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Liz, I don't really think that pictures of my home are any practical use to you. But as a measure of my appreciation for your situation, here's a few.
    Thanks for posting even if she can't use them. It appears you have a fabulous place.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Thanks!!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

New Orleans raised homes

Much of the rebuilding in the 9th Ward area of New Orleans fits your description -- raised and compact. Some pics here from that area. Lots more available through a web search, but I didn't run across any free, complete plans.

http://makeitright.org/

Here's an article with some very good guidance on how to build homes appropriate for coastal cities. This includes some layout and construction detail drawings.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...na-new-orleans

Thanks!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

How do you manage with an elevator if the power goes out for an extended period? Back-up generator?

We have a generator for our lift that goes to the 2nd floor loft. But, our generator also runs the whole house and comes on about 2 minutes after the power goes out and runs on propane.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.