Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you ever wanted to visit a foregin country. Which one would it be, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    We keep trying to find cruises that start or end in Oslo or even stop there and few do. They go to every other port and around the north cape of Norway but not Oslo. We need to find out why and get this fixed!
    You don’t want to go to Oslo. You should go the southwestern route then up north. Oslo doesn’t have much except administration a few bars and such. Go by the western coast and fjords, plenty of cruises going there, but with such journeys you don’t see much either so you might be good by going to instead and directly Oslo You want to go to a place and stay there for a few days, to enjoy, not on a cruise for your photo camera. Okay?

That's why I wish a cruise would start or end there! When we have to fly that distance we add several days at each end to see the local area. I would love this one 14 day cruise that goes right up the western coast and over the northern cape but begins and ends in Copenhagen. I'd like to spend a day or 2 in Copenhagen some day but want to spend more time in the Oslo area including seeing some friends before heading north to Tromso and such. When we went to Greece we spent 3 days before the cruise and 2 afterwards in Athens. Only problem was the garbage strike made it impossible to cross most streets because of the piles of trash. :-) Even our cruise to Alaska we spent several days in Seattle before and a day after to see some sites and have a few meals with old Army friends. Cities make a lot of money off cruise ports because many people come in days early or spend days after to see the embarkation/debarkation cities and surrounding areas.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

OHH.. I like this thread.

I can't name one!! I say Vietnam, Thailand, Fiji, and ..ok that is it for now.

for me...it is all about nice people, comfort and food oh and warmth
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

India - for cultural and spiritual reasons.

Colombia - for the women and environment

Russia - intrigued. places that are no gos or considered polar opposite of where I"m from, make me want to go there even more

North Korea - see Russia

Cuba, it's close, yet far. My people went and I get left out of sharing the memories.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thumbs up

Jacksonville and Cocoa beach , Florida. God bless America!!!!

Leif, Oslo is nice, you only have seen a small part of it. You have never been anyplace except Raddison Blue and half Karl Johan and Aker Bryggen

But I agree that the cruise from Bergen to the north of Norway is the best way of travelling, I wish I had money to that cruise.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I would love to visit Egypt and parts of the Middle East. As an American, it would make me a little nervous traveling in that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    India! It's always intrigued me but my co-workers there say it's not real accessible. Oh well, it's on the bucket list anyway.
    India is more on my husband's list than mine but there, and Vietnam and Cambodia are on both of ours. He'd like to see the later two while not being shot at and with so many from that area who settled here after the war I'd love to see them too. But the long flights have us thinking hard about all 3.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

...in a nutshell for me. No third world countries thanks!.

I can see the silk road, trekking in nepal, the piled skulls of khmer rouge in cambodia and or guys wanking/shitting/peeing in the streets of india or people getting shot dead in iran on telly thank you very much.

I had a mate go away to africa for a year he was in a safe bank job but had a small pot problem. He came back with a big drug habit and a life messed up after being trapped in Angola during an uprising in the 90's. He was never the same, he did see and smell the dead in huge numbers. He doesn't travel anymore.

Give me, complimentary continental breakfasts, wine/whisky or beer tastings, car museums, good bed linen, cable tv, free wi-fi and fine dining over being scared, mosquito bitten and or shot in some third world toilet for your iphone...or worse, a kidney.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.