Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you ever wanted to visit a foregin country. Which one would it be, and why?

Smile If you ever wanted to visit a foregin country. Which one would it be, and why?

Talking about Australia in my reply to the topic "Kids Think Wheelchairs Are So Cool" got me to thinking how much I would love to go back there someday. I lived in Springvale, Victoria, Australia for five months while my mom was on a sabbatical leave from the university she works at here where we live. That was when I was 11 years old, and it was my first time experiencing what it was like being in a different kind of school where I had to wear a uniform during the week.

Then, for my high school graduation. My mom took me, and a friend of mine back to Australia again, for a month-long vacation. That was the first time I traveled overseas as a wheelchair user, and I got to experience just how wheelchair-friendly Australia is. I had a fun time the second time around as I did the first time. Now my mom is talking about taking my husband, and me back to Australia again sometime in the future. Because she knows how much I love that country. I have several CDs of two of the greatest Australian folk singers, John Williamson, and Lazy Harry that made me fall in love with Australian music.

I also loved New Zealand when we went there for a vacation after the Australia trip when I was 11. I am anxious to go back there as well because I would love to see how accessible it is, for a wheelchair user.

So, if you ever wanted to visit another country. Which one would you choose the most?
    Samantha

Vacation's are fun and I would go any where for a nice break. Australia seems awesome and I love Lenka, it is easily one of the most dangerous habitats because of all the venomous species. Danger= fun.

and one the most beautiful ladies I have meet was a Australian stripper, she may have lied but she boosted Australia's ratings incredibly in my view.

Guess I would travel everywhere/anywhere, since there is beauty all over our earth.

I've only ever traveled to Canada, and loved it there. My aunt is from north of London and I always wanted to travel there with her and meet the rest of her family. I met her parents and a brother when I was a kid and they traveled here to see her.

The few family vacations we took were just here in the states, but they were great, and there is so much more to see in the USA before I travel overseas. So, the country I would choose is my own. So many states to see, and so different!

Norway so I can party with Bente and Leif, and Id like to play with some Fjord ponies.

Right now Ireland is at the top of my list, but I'd need to very carefully plan everything to make sure I had access to 110v power for my ventilator, plus the usual accessibility stuff. (And, of course, I'd need the money first!)

I'd also really like to see where my grandfather lived in Germany. And revisit Japan, because I never got to take the bullet train or see Kyoto. Plus I'd like to see Thailand, now that my father lives there. And I'd love to go back to London; I passed up seeing Stonehenge on my trip several years ago in favor of going to Hampton Court (and was not disappointed in the slightest), but I'd really like to see something from the Neolithic someday.

Iceland. If I ever win the lottery I would move there.

hey 50surgeries, come down its not bad.

My wife and i just had a small break in Flinders, Vic, there's a hotel there that is only 22 weeks old...access is bang on correct and has been tackled as it should be. It's right up to all the most up to date accessibility codes.

The accessible rooms are just as good as the expensive rooms, the only difference being that the accessible rooms have a larger bathroom and no shower screen. The showers have a big wide fold down shower seat, the basin set off the wall and has no under cupboards etc. Toilets have correct grab rails etc. We found the toilet a little too wide for my shower commode, but if you can transfer to the toilet you'd have no problem.

Accessibility in Australia is pretty good, but as with everywhere, some places are worse than others. You WILL likely take just as many photos of really stupid examples like stairs on ramps, accessible parking spaces taken up by lazy able bods, we struck really poor footpaths on our trip but we managed.

me, I wanna go to the US or France....Germany to see the merc, bmw and porsche museums?
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Norway so I can party with Bente and Leif, and Id like to play with some Fjord ponies.
    You are welcome any time
    TH 12, 43 years post

I love natural wonders ... eeks my first response would have been Iceland too ... so I'll go for Antarctica.

UK is a close second .. and more reasonable/doable.

Still have yet to see the west coast of Canada though. Missed Newfoundland when I went out east in '01.

Who am I kidding though??? I'll be lucky to break even to retirement just staying where I am! lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Holy crap! Am I that obnoxious that Iceland is too big for the both of us?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I love natural wonders ... eeks my first response would have been Iceland too ... so I'll go for Antarctica.

UK is a close second .. and more reasonable/doable.

Still have yet to see the west coast of Canada though. Missed Newfoundland when I went out east in '01.

Who am I kidding though??? I'll be lucky to break even to retirement just staying where I am! lol