Thread: Knee Pain

Knee Pain

I had to give a lecture at our local science center yesterday. I normally use my wheel chair (Peripheral Neuropathy), but for public appearance I elected to use my AFO braces and my forearm crutches...standing and crutching around for several hours.

By the end of the day, my legs felt like spaghetti and my right knee was starting to ache. By evening it was really aching. Couldn't sleep well last night even after taking 400mg of Ibuprofin and 600mg of gabepentrin.

Today I can barely stand and the ache is continuous. It feels like it's deep in bone and my knee is swollen.

This happened to both of my feet on different different occasions after prolong standing (I normally have no feeling in my feet). The Dr ruled out gout and arthritis. He felt that I had mini fracture. In both of those cases the pain and swelling subsided after 72 hrs.

Any ideas out there?

You haven't used those joints for a while. I'll gamble the pain will go aways after a while. My legs did that for years after I got the bends. I didn't give in to them until I retired then they had just about given in.

Periphial tingling no surface sensation, feet numb but when you push a hard or sharp object against the top of my foot like they do doing your senses my feet would involuntarily go into the object. If it were a knife I would be stabbed by my own reactions.

I didn't look up your profile but it sounds like my case of the bends. Tired legs just kill you. Do your hips just feel sore and cramp up? Do your legs and or feet spaz at night? Are they full of pins and needles and then burn? Do your knees feel like they will try to bend forward?

Those are most of my symptoms.

Hi Bob

I am a diver with well over 5000 dives but never had the classic bends and I haven't dove in the last 2 weeks. Legs and feet do spaz up at nite. Pins, needles and burning now the lower legs are almost like they are not there except what you describe in paragraph 2

Joe

cbdives,

I was a commercial diver I didn't count how many individual dives, I made but hours working. Often 8 + hours per day with breaks that would translate to a minimum of 6-6.5 hours per day in the water. I started as a sport diver in the late 50's and at that time I used my skills a few times on authorized minor repairs on our ship and a few others in the Med.

I had a couple of serious bouts of the bends one in 1962 in France where I was working for an American after my discharge from the Navy I was in 262 feet of water. I made a 1 minute mistake at 100feet decompressing.

When I got to the surface and got back on the vessel I passed out. And as aside from some slight memories of being moved about I woke up in a recompression chamber, in Toulon France, where they decompressed me over several days. From there I was brought to a neurological hospital in Toulon, until I was released. Today I can't tell you how many days I was there.

To the last time in Mass. when I was putting a pipeline across a deep creek after finishing the installation "6 hours at over 60 feet" I was decompressing and an oil tanker came up the creek cutting short my 10 foot stop. This time I passed out, meaning I went to the ground, while walking across the bridge where we crossed the creek. But I have no memory of how I got to go across the bridge. I recompressed and then decompressed in an operating room intended for operating on babies with Gaseous Gangerene, in Childrens Hospital Boston Mass.

Each time as I was decompressing I puked, it is another indicator of an instant reoccurance, or the problem itself, accompanied with fainting unexpectedly or simply passing out, and puking as you gain temporary consiousness.

It is an insult to your brain and also causes nerve damage to the places where the nitrogen or as in one of my bouts Hydrogen gas becomes a bubble, creating a lot pressure, quite often in the spine. The damage done is not visible as is what causes that damage...gas under pressure.

Light occurances are usually painful joints, but this never manifested itself in my case. The gear we used usually was not SCUBA but connected to an air compressor so working on a project would not be cut short.

In northern cold waters and in winter even in the Boston area or North still occurs, I used the "old fashioned copper helmet" it was good for clear communications with your assistants (tender) on the surface, you could be completely isolated from the outside water dry and relatively warm.

I missed making my living this way every day since that accident. Not just the cash but the sense of accomplishment from this kind of work.

If you haven't gotten the bends, and you don't want to get them either. Then look to diabetes as your culprit that has similar symptoms that you have described. Maybe excepting your knees. But that could be neurological diabetes effects as well, or some early stage artheritis.

Get your doctors to find what it is don't do what I did, allow yourself to be put off. I worried about feedng and supporting my family, without looking at the time slipping by, and just promising yourself you'll do it later.

Later came and I am in a wheel chair, yes I am old 73, but this hobbles me from doing a lot of what I dreamed I was going to do in retirement just the same. Don't "F" up nag the doctor while this is a new problem. Later is No Good.