Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Year Celebration

20 Year Celebration

The 20 yr. anniversary of my accident is this summer, July 24th, my dad's birthday. Anyway, I mentioned casually to my younger sister that I would like to have a celebration of life. I am happy and healthy. Unbeknownst to me she took it and ran with it. She began to plan a surprise party. I believe she is calling it the "I Survived" party. I was in Atlanta last week visiting a close friend, and she told me about the party. She couldn't understand how I would want to celebrate breaking my back. That is not what it is about! Her husband understood the meaning. She asked me not to say anything to my sister. Well, I totally blocked her telling me that out. I think I was a little pissed she told me. Needless to say, my sister is very pissed, but I told her to try and not tell me all of the details (like who is attending). I can now assist in a few of the plans ie. music, food, and beverages.

Has anyone else planned a celebration like this? Did anyone think it was bizarre?
    Incomplete T-12/L-1

I think it's wonderful- a celebration of life. And any reason to throw a party is a good reason. I hope you have a huge fun tipsy and too much barbeque time.

I had quite the party for my tenth. Long time ago, but my parents were the only ppl that I remember who didn't grasp the celebration concept after explaining it to them.

My 23rd anniversary is a day before yours. Oddly enough, my accident happened on my grandfather's birthday. As for any celebration, I don't see any use for it. Perhaps if I had more going on in my life or was able to take care of myself I might reconsider, but as things are, it just represents another year of my stupid decision not to wear a seatbelt and to drive too fast. Anyhow, I'm just glad that there are others who can celebrate their "new life" the way you are doing.

I am having my 60th in 2014. Any surprises might cause me to have "the really big one" then. lol
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 03-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I hope and I don't know when I'll die ... if I do, I wanna go out like this cat and have the party before:

http://www.windsorstar.com/Dying+hos...592/story.html

Good on you for surviving two decades. That number I found hard. Twenty-five worse.

Facing 28 and it's all good now.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I don't think it is weird at all. I guess it depends on how you view life and how close you came to dying I guess.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Reading this post made me realize that my 20th is this Thursday! I used to keep track of my anniversaries, but now it is just another day.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I think I'll have a party on my 40th if I'm still alive.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

To me. If I was going to celebrate life I would do it on my birthday. Not the day my good life was ruined. Just my opinion.