Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: permobil c500 stuck in neutral...bahamas...HELP!

Power Chair Still in Repair - since March 3, 2013!

Just another update - our local DME picked up Danny's chair last Wednesday, 05/22/13, and will probably have it for 1-2 weeks. So far United has been really great about getting the thing fixed properly. We haven't heard a word from the "great" DME in New Jersey. It's amazing how companies can sound like they are the best thing going and then just like that (snap!) they drop you like a hot potato (sigh). Oh well. Hopefully once we do get the chair back it will be like new. We did learn something by accident though - anyone ever hear of a "lock out key"? I guess it is basically a "plug" that you put into the charger port and it prevents the chair from being turned on? Something like that anyway. We are at the point where we are now trying to figure out some way(s) to hopefully prevent chair damage on future airline trips. I wondered if we devised some type of "industrial strength portable dolly" that Danny could drive his chair up on, strap the thing down, plug in the "lock out key" and then there would be no reason for anyone to try to turn the darn thing on!

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    They make a number of different size plastic pallets that a powerchair could climb up on. I found one that is 40'' long x 48'' wide and 6'' high, costs 80 bucks.

Another small skid is 47 1/4'' long x 39 1/2'' wide and 5 1/2'' high, weighs 20 lbs and costs 40 bucks. These can handle 3,300 lbs. A chair could be straped down and the handlers would have to dolly it or use a forklift. Maybe then they would keep their hands off. They also have plastic zipper covers for powerchairs. May be a pain to carry the skid but 20 lbs is not bad.
    www.seton.com search for plastic pallets

www.discountramps.com/power-chair-cover.htm
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Whats the latest on the broken chair, please?
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Blackburn's picked up Danny's chair three weeks ago. Danny had been using a loaner chair from UPMC that he was using in a research project for UPMC, up until a week ago Saturday when both arms on the C500 broke when he pushed himself up while getting dressed! He now has a loaner C300 from Blackburn's. When he talked to Blackburn's last week, the parts for his chair were "on order." The chair was broken on March 3rd and here we are coming up on FOUR MONTHS and still, not fixed! Ugh!

Must be pretty strong to push himself up when armrests are usually high to begin with. Can he straighten his arms with his butt up in the air. The chair may tip over.

I would need my arms much lower than they are now. I have very long arms and a quad belly that holds 5 days of waste so it would be tough.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt