Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: permobil c500 stuck in neutral...bahamas...HELP!

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Wow, United has really stepped up for you. Most DME's would have left you burried in the sand.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Nickib View Post
    When we boarded the plane in Pgh it was fine. Now that we arrived in Bahamas it won't go into gear & move. Power works lever just won't go down far enough! We are stuck in room! Please help!
    Nightmare situation. Sorry you are experiencing this.

I can't offer any advice that hasn't been given other than next flight, remove your joystick/armrest and bring it on board with you. Good practice to remove foot rests too. (I do) as that is the first think baggage handlers grab and they would bend/break under weight of power w/c.

My wife's used C400 has a lever by right front wheel which disengages motors to push chair after breakdowns. This lever is a big problem, all the flashing lights and inoperable chair situations we have experienced are a result of problems with this lever. When lights start flashing and chair refuses to move the fix has always been achieved by perseverating on engaging/disengaging the lever. So far, all failures have been corrected by just engaging/disengaging this lever over and over again (beyond reason) until chair decides to behave itself.

If we can get astronauts to the moon and back we should be able to make these terrestrial devices more reliable for people who absolutely depend on them for quality of life. I am so pissed off that the user who started this thread has had his/her Bahama vacation made less enjoyable by the idiots who designed this chair assisted by the fools that tossed it around while loading. Good to hear United made some efforts to rectify the situation. The best revenge will be to enjoy the hell out of your vacation in replacement chair.

We are blessed to be here & united really has been great. He has a Jazzy Ultra which isn't NEARLY as deluxe as his chair but hey, at least we were able to sit by the pool today. Tomorrow we try Beachrings! Life really is good! Good suggestions from all & we never thought about removing joystick or footrests. Danny said that he will NOT fly with his new chair, that he will make sure old C500 is in good working order & take it when we fly. At least we have learned from this. I can't help but giggle when he squeeks down the hallway! It's so funny...and loud...on the tile! Hilarious!

Nice when bad troubles end with satisfying outcomes.
    Enjoy.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Glad it worked out for you. On that note, I HATE flying with my C500, or any powerchair for that matter. It wasn't so bad years ago when I used my manual chair and airlines were more gentle with things and actually acted like they cared, but now it's a nightmare.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Curious to hear what was wrong with the chair.
    DIGG.

We are still waiting to get the chair back. Long story short is that some cable and/or circuit board needed to be replaced. The DME in Newark is wonderful - he would have had the chair back to us a week ago Friday with just the power fixed, but with other things that could be repaired locally and included in the damage claim. We would have done this, but thus far we are not very happy with our local DME (I posted under DME's if anyone knew of a good one in Southwestern PA, but so far no leads . . .). At the same time, Danny was contacted about a research project wherein a C500 with sensors will be delivered to him tomorrow and it will track/monitor how often he uses the tilt, elevator, etc. He will have this chair for 8 weeks. In light of that development, we asked the New Jersey DME to please complete ALL of the repairs on his chair before returning it to him. I should note that the DME in New Jersey is going to personally deliver his repaired chair to him here, rather than take a chance of putting it on another plane to Pittsburgh. Now THAT'S AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE! I will update as the situation changes. Thanks for asking!

When I was in the VA center in Aspinwall, a DME named Blackburns used to repair the many types of equipment that needed serviced. The mechanics that fixed my mattress and bed were great and always supported me against the jerks at the VA who said I didn't what I was talking about. I heard mostly good things about them all these years. They do have many skilled mechanics.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

~~~ update ~~~

DME in Newark, NJ has had Danny's chair since March 4, 2013. We were in NJ last weekend and offered to pick it up - if it was ready - to save them from driving all the way to Pittsburgh. We took the Jazzy Ultra with us and "swapped" on Friday morning, May 3, 2013. His chair did move again, but that was the ONLY thing that had been done as promised! There were several other things that were supposed to be repaired or replaced which were not even touched! To make matters worse, we didn't realize it until we got back to the hotel that night, but now the brake doesn't even work! Danny realized this when he was getting out of his van. The chair was off and he was on a slight slope on the lift. He started drifting! Scared the living H*** out of both of us! He even tested it on a slight ramp off the sidewalk. Sure enough, with him in the chair and the chair turned off at the top of the ramp the chair just rolled on down the ramp! Then, he was in the bathroom and the wiring where the joystick is attached was held together with a wirenut which came off and it took him several minutes to get that working again. V-e-r-y disappointing. We emailed United right away, still waiting to hear back. The DME in NJ however responded with apologies, blah, blah, blah and the parts are supposed to be on their way to Pittsburgh. We will see. So (sigh), the Bahamas saga continues.