Thread: Whipple's Disease?

Whipple's Disease?

So, now I find out that my older brother has beed DX'd with Whipple's Disease.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...e/index.aspx#3

which has the key phrase:

'Neurologic symptoms occur in some people diagnosed with Whipple’s disease and can mimic symptoms of almost any other neurologic condition.' Maybe SPMS?

Both he and I have been told for years that we have "essential or familiar" tremor.

Again, a bacterial infection that must be treated with 18-24 months of antibiotics.

ARRRGGhhhh!!!!

Might be time to buy stock in a good yogurt company. Sorry, bad joke. I would think that with all the testing required to get a definitive diagnosis of any kind of MS that you most likely do have SPMS. Does the medical profession even know what causes essential tremor? I remember Katherine Hepburn saying what an utter pain in the butt it was but not something that effected her health unlike Parkinsons' related tremors which are very different in nature.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Other than a great deal of embarassment all my life because I couldn't hold a drink in my hand without spilling it, essential tremor has never caused me problems...well, maybe because of it, I'm an introvert and would rather be around computers than people. The last 10-12 yrs, I've been taking Clonezapam, and its pretty well contolled.

And, according to thiis doctor my brother is seeing, he's 90% sure his is caused by Whipple's disease. Initial blood testing indicates some kind of persistent bacterial infection and they have an endoscopy scheduled to take a biospy of the upper instestine to confirm it.

The thing with MS is that they haven't yet identified a single cause. And the fact that there are several treatments that have made the symptoms go away in some people implies to me that there may be several different things that kick it off.

Yes, if it comes at such a young age I can see tremors being very embarassing. As far as MS goes, it is obviously connected, in most cases, to sun exposure or more likely lack of sunlight. Maps of the MS population light up all over northern Europe, middle to northern America and Canada and parts of Australia and in South Africa. The vast majority appears to be in white caucasians as the southern part of South America does not light up. While blacks and non-white hispanics also get MS it is rarer by far than in, say, Scandanavian whites. It is also more likely to occur in women than in men.
    I have the feeling that like certain Europeans who appear immune to HIV/AIDS from an ancestry of relatives who had and survived the plague in Medievel Europe there may be another mutation that triggers MS in the same populations.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.