Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CRPA-We're losing-Yay NC, Burr 6-29!

CRPA-We're losing-Yay NC, Burr 6-29!

Only 2 of the Congressmen we met with are on this list!!! (Andrews and Walden) Aarrgghh, people please write your
    congressmen! Don't get complacent, this is by no means a done deal. http://olpa.od.nih.gov/tracking/109/...ion1/s-828.asp
    According to the above ink, it was submitted with $100 million in funding requested in aggregate over 3 years

Sponsor: Rep Bilirakis, Michael [FL-9] (introduced 4/12/2005) Cosponsors (34)
    Rep Andrews, Robert E. [NJ-1] - 4/14/2005
    Rep Baldwin, Tammy [WI-2] - 4/14/2005
    Rep Bono, Mary [CA-45] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Bradley, Jeb [NH-1] - 4/19/2005
    Rep Brown, Sherrod [OH-13] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Case, Ed [HI-2] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Costello, Jerry F. [IL-12] - 4/26/2005
    Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] - 5/10/2005
    Rep Doggett, Lloyd [TX-25] - 5/26/2005
    Rep Eshoo, Anna G. [CA-14] - 5/25/2005
    Rep Fossella, Vito [NY-13] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Hinchey, Maurice D. [NY-22] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Holt, Rush D. [NJ-12] - 4/26/2005
    Rep Kaptur, Marcy [OH-9] - 4/26/2005
    Rep Kelly, Sue W. [NY-19] - 5/16/2005
    Rep Kildee, Dale E. [MI-5] - 4/26/2005
    Rep Langevin, James R. [RI-2] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Lee, Barbara [CA-9] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16] - 4/28/2005
    Rep McDermott, Jim [WA-7] - 4/14/2005
    Rep McNulty, Michael R. [NY-21] - 4/14/2005
    Rep Miller, Candice S. [MI-10] - 5/3/2005
    Rep Olver, John W. [MA-1] - 5/18/2005
    Rep Price, David E. [NC-4] - 4/20/2005
    Rep Schakowsky, Janice D. [IL-9] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Sessions, Pete [TX-32] - 5/23/2005
    Rep Smith, Adam [WA-9] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Terry, Lee [NE-2] - 4/14/2005
    Rep Tierney, John F. [MA-6] - 5/4/2005
    Rep Towns, Edolphus [NY-10] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Walden, Greg [OR-2] - 4/13/2005
    Rep Waxman, Henry A. [CA-30] - 4/12/2005
    Rep Young, C. W. Bill [FL-10] - 4/19/2005
    Rep Saxton, Jim [NJ-3] - 6/9/2005
    Rep Herseth, Stephanie [SD] - 6/13/2005

Latest Major Action: 4/12/2005 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, and in addition to the Committee on Veterans' Affairs, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

On the Senate side, the bill was introduced on 4/18/2005 by Senator Tom Harkin with 9 co-sponsors:

Sen Bingaman, Jeff [NM] - 4/18/2005
    Sen Clinton, Hillary Rodham [NY] - 4/18/2005
    Sen Cochran, Thad [MS] - 4/28/2005
    Sen Durbin, Richard [IL] - 4/28/2005
    Sen Graham, Lindsey [SC] - 4/18/2005
    Sen Kennedy, Edward M. [MA] - 4/18/2005
    Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] - 4/18/2005
    Sen McCain, John [AZ] - 5/25/2005
    Sen Specter, Arlen [PA] - 4/18/2005
    Sen Johnson, Tim [SD] - 6/7/2005
    Sen Boxer, Barbara [CA] - 6/13/2005
    Sen Burr, Richard [NC] - 6/29/2005

Latest Major Action: 4/18/2005 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions

[This message was edited by Betheny on 06-14-05 at 08:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by Betheny on 06-30-05 at 05:57 PM.]

It is important to write and remind the Senators and Representatives, and staffers, that it would be very helpful for them to co-sponsor the bill.

Wise.

hey beth, sen. kay bailey-hutchison wrote me saying she would sign the crpa.

Members of the House Committee of Energy and Commerce, subcommittee Health: First line of offense. We need to persuade them NOW. (This is why I keep asking people from Georgia what their zipcode is LOL)
    DA-Hutchinson is wonderful!

Nathan Deal, Georgia
    Chairman

Ralph M. Hall, Texas

Michael Bilirakis, Florida

Fred Upton, Michigan

Paul E. Gillmor, Ohio

Charlie Norwood, Georgia

Barbara Cubin, Wyoming

John Shimkus, Illinois

John B. Shadegg, Arizona

Charles "Chip" Pickering, Mississippi

Steve Buyer, Indiana

Joseph R. Pitts, Pennsylvania

Mary Bono, California

Mike Ferguson, New Jersey

Mike Rogers, Michigan

Sue Myrick, North Carolina

Michael Burgess, Texas

Joe Barton, Texas
    (Ex Officio)

Sherrod Brown, Ohio
    Ranking Member

Henry A. Waxman, California

Edolphus Towns, New York

Frank Pallone Jr., New Jersey

Bart Gordon, Tennessee

Bobby L. Rush, Illinois

Anna G. Eshoo, California

Gene Green, Texas

Ted Strickland, Ohio

Diana DeGette, Colorado

Lois Capps, California

Tom Allen, Maine

Jim Davis, Florida

Tammy Baldwin, Wisconsin

John D. Dingell, Michigan
    (Ex Officio)

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx

Okay, I just emailed, faxed, and snail mailed Representative Brad Miller of NC.

I threw in "Representative Miller, I gave you my vote...now I need yours" at the end right before my closing . Guilt trips are a beautiful thing.

"Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Justin-
    Now get every member of your rather extensive family (the people that brought you guilt trips) to do the same.

I'm thinking we could write letters, address envelopes, stamp them and send to people in key areas-say 5 each. If they got family or coworkers, whatever, to sign and mail them...

Thinking aloud here, does anyone think that might work?

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx

Yes, Betheny, absolutely it will. Also, for those who visited your reps. in Washington in person, tell them you were there representing the thousands of others from your state who were unable to do so for various reasons. Heck, Theophania was in DC, at the Rally, had to return to the hotel due to SCI related issues and was unable to join us representing Minnesota because she had transportation problems back to Capitol Hill.

Also, be sure to write a note to the legislative aid, too. They do much of the leg work for their bosses. It wouldn't hurt to keep them in the loop, too.

Sue

"Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean." C. Reeve

Here's best I could do to send out to friends family. Have setup pretty easy links in Legislative Forum to reach co-sponsors and sponsors. (thank them, i did Yes I am going to be printing out addressed, stamped envelopes also.
    -----------------------------------
    Date

Dear Senator Thune,

I am writing you to urge you to co-sponsor and vote for passage of the Christopher Reeve's Paralysis Act of 2005.

My (friend, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, dad, mom) has been paralyzed for to many years.

The Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act includes NO LANGUAGE related to any sort of controversial cellular research or therapies (e.g. therapeutic cloning or embryonic stem cells).

This year, the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act (CRPA) was introduced in both the House of Representatives (H.R. 1554) and the Senate (S. 828). The CRPA is non-controversial and had strong bi-partisan sponsors, include Tom Harkin (D-IA), Specter (R-PA), Kennedy (D-MA), Graham (R-SC), Clinton (D-NY), and McCain (R-AZ), Bilirakis (R-FL), Brown (D-OH), Bono (R-CA), and Langevin (D-RI)

The Basics:
    This bill is primarily about two things: advancing collaborative research in paralysis and improving the quality of life today for people living with paralysis. The CRPA encourages coordination of research to prevent redundancies and hopefully hasten discovery of better treatment and cures and, as importantly, to improve the daily lives today for those living with paralysis.

The CRPA has four components that support and enhance paralysis research, rehabilitation, and quality of life.

* Title I Paralysis Research. Expands research on paralysis at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This centers on encouraging collaborative research - connecting scientists doing similar work to enhance understanding and speed discovery of better treatments and cures.
    * Title II Paralysis Rehabilitation and Care. Research to enhance daily function for people with paralysis including a Clinical Trials Network to measure effectiveness of certain rehabilitation tactics and encouraging shared findings on paralysis to improve rehabilitation.
    * Title III Improving Quality of Life for Persons with Paralysis and Other Physical Disabilities. Working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to improve the quality of life and long-term health status of persons with paralysis and other physical disabilities.
    * Title IV Basic Rehabilitation and Health Sciences Research: The bill utilizes the Veteran's Health Administration facilities to improve paralysis research by tracking data within the world's largest system of hospitals.

I feel I know a bit of how this has affected my___________________. Please do what you can to get this bill passed as soon as possible.

Thank you, for listening.

Sincerely,

Name
    Address
    Phone
    Email address

Senator Tim Johnson
    136 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Senator John Thune
    United States Senate SR-383
    Washington, DC 20510

Rep. Stephanie Herseth
    331 Cannon House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

I'm going to send another letter to mine...the guilt trip thing is a wonderful idea. I'm thinking about including a photo too.

http://curlieqcarrie.friendpages.com/
    When life has handed you lemons, remember to ask for tequila and salt!

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie:

I'm going to send another letter to mine...the guilt trip thing is a wonderful idea. I'm thinking about including a photo too.
    Definitely include a photo.

Sue