Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exoskeleton

Exoskeleton

http://www.bing.com/videos/browse?mk...rom=dest_en-us

http://news.discovery.com/tech/robot...ght-130227.htm

A robot suit that can help the elderly or disabled get around was given its global safety certificate in Japan on Wednesday, paving the way for its worldwide roll-out.

The Hybrid Assistive Limb, or HAL, is a power-assisted pair of legs developed by Japanese robot maker Cyberdyne, which has also developed similar robot arms.

A quality assurance body issued the certificate based on a draft version of an international safety standard for personal robots that is expected to be approved later this year, the ministry for the economy, trade and industry said.

NEWS: Bionic Legs Allow Paraplegic to Stand and Walk
    The metal-and-plastic exoskeleton has become the first nursing-care robot certified under the draft standard, a ministry official said.

Battery-powered HAL, which detects muscle impulses to anticipate and support the user's body movements, is designed to help the elderly with mobility or help hospital or nursing carers to lift patients.

Cyberdyne, based in Tsukuba, northeast of Tokyo, has so far leased some 330 suits to 150 hospitals, welfare and other facilities in Japan since 2010, at 178,000 yen ($1,950) per suit per year.

"It is very significant that Japan has obtained this certification before others in the world," said Yoshiyuki Sankai, the head of Cyberdyne.

The company is unrelated to the firm of the same name responsible for the cyborg assassin played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1984 film "The Terminator."

"This is a first step forward for Japan, the great robot nation, to send our message to the world about robots of the future," said Sankai, who is also a professor at Tsukuba University.

VIDEO: Man Controls Robotic Arm with His Mind
    A different version of HAL -- coincidentally the name of the evil supercomputer in Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" -- has been developed for workers who need to wear heavy radiation protection as part of the clean-up at the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

Industrial robots have long been used in Japan, and robo-suits are gradually making inroads into hospitals and retirement homes.

But critics say the government has been slow in creating a safety framework for such robots in a country whose rapidly aging population is expected to enjoy ever longer lives.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Hell I would pay 2K a year for that.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Hell I would pay 2K a year for that.
    in a heart beat where when i am more tha ready

I just found this little disclaimer thing from the article funny

"The company is unrelated to the firm of the same name responsible for the cyborg assassin played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1984 film "The Terminator."
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    First time I've seen and exoskeleton climb stairs, they all say they can, but this is the first one I've seen on video.

$2k a year sign me up.

I was in the Re-Walk program last fall in NYC. It is a very neat experience. The Re-Walk from Argo Medical is supposed to be approved by FDA late this summer. They have come out with a home model. It will be interesting to see if Medicare picks up the cost. Argo's goal was to have Medicare pay for the units. It will be an interesting year with so much going on in the medical field.

cheaper than my chair...I'll take two

Is it only assisting with walking? Meaning you have to have some kind of movement in all muscles ? Or can any paraplegic rock this? It looks way better than re-walk (compact) and seems to be working smoother as well. Would it carry somebody woith flaccid paralysis?

*sigh* Still waiting for the real thing.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    i just found this little disclaimer thing from the article funny

"the company is unrelated to the firm of the same name responsible for the cyborg assassin played by arnold schwarzenegger in the 1984 film "the terminator."
    lmao!!!
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com