Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Was on a cruise with my wife a cooue of years ago. While waiting to get into a show a lady asked me "What am I supposed to call you people." I replied "Handsome." What can ya do, I'm sure she meant well.

I don't think what they say is that mportant. My reaction to it does seem to be a barometer of how thick my skin currently is though.

Most of those bs comments I can shine right on. Asking if you get SSI is WAY out of line, and what I'm ranting about. Maybe I'm oversensitive but I think that's ppl assuming you're a leech on society.

At best, it is wayyyy inappropriate to ask strangers about their income!

Cryptic, you're right, I've always been white. I just assumed OG had been injured longer, was better at it and had really good manners.

My mom was in a chair since I was 23 so I've been kind of aware of disability. She had a brain injury tho. She'd have ripped those bad employees a new one. Of course, she was always white too.

How does it play out if the bad employees at the hospital are also black? Would OG have likely remained unbelievably polite? (I don't recall the race of the gum chewer or the XRT to be honest. Probably white I guess.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    the comments don't bother me. What I can't shake is the look that some (I think) Middle Eastern, South Asian shopping tourists give me at the megamall. It's a combination of contempt and revulsion. They have no problems staring.

I'm no brad pitt, but geeze. I avoid going there when it's busy and full of bargain hunting foreigners. I know I should have a thicker skin, gimp 101 is just get on with your life. But, I'm still going to avoid being uncomfortable if I can help it.
    This is interesting b/c I remember noticing in ChinatownNYC years ago-they didn't stare. I think Hockenberry said he noticed it in parts of the word where life is tougher...they know shit happens. It doesn't surprise or intrigue them b/c they're more accustomed to things going wrong and ppl getting hurt.

I remember an Indian girl here saying she is not marriage material in India. Just like damaged goods or something. (Has anyone heard from shwetarose? I always liked her.)

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I really want a shirt that says Yes My Pussy still works so we can get that question out the way quickly.
    I have a severely neglected blog w/ a post on this topic. I even have a photo of the T-shirt! (For guys, though.)

http://elder-flowr.livejournal.com/1141.html

I think a "Yes my pussy still works" T shirt might be startling. But I'm really old. Maybe you should get one made, wear it and report back!?

When I first got hurt I wanted a shirt that said "Keep staring. I might do a trick!"

Back then my equally old friend thought that was borderline-offensive to the poor AB stare-ers. I'm going to tell her about your T-shirt idea. I bet that will shock her to the core LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I have a severely neglected blog w/ a post on this topic. I even have a photo of the T-shirt! (For guys, though.)

http://elder-flowr.livejournal.com/1141.html

I think a "Yes my pussy still works" T shirt might be startling. But I'm really old. Maybe you should get one made, wear it and report back!?

When I first got hurt I wanted a shirt that said "Keep staring. I might do a trick!"

Back then my equally old friend thought that was borderline-offensive to the poor AB stare-ers. I'm going to tell her about your T-shirt idea. I bet that will shock her to the core LOL.
    lol man i want a shirt that says that!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

One thing that really gets under my skin is the "Thank you for your service" that gets tossed out with just as much thought and feeling as "good morning, how can I help you?"

Look, I don't mind if you are curious, that's to be expected, especially if you haven't encountered someone like me before. If you can put up with my stammering, I'll gladly talk. But don't patronize me. I will always do my best to answer honest questions, especially from kids, but I'm going to tailor my answers to what I think you can handle. Kids, civilians, and vets all get different answers. And I'm still not going to open up unless I think you understand.

And yet... I'm guilty of putting the issue forward. Because I don't want to deal with explaining why I am no longer running (literal use) with a smile and passing out meaningless pleasantries myself, I have made a habit of making my vet status obvious. Things like purple heart plates, or by byline - "played with bombs" is pretty self evident. Small things, but enough to make me just as culpable in generating that meaningless phrase. I know it's a defense mechanism and I should expect the normal reaction I get, it's a reaction that the majority of people in our country have been ingrained to use.

Doesn't mean it doesn't bug me. I may be capable of thinking logically, but my emotions are not logical. I just try to be like the patient kid that Bethany mentioned and stay polite.

I think, like most of us, I have some stock answers that I toss out without any more thought than the phrases that bug me that people say to me. Probably the one I use the most is in reaction to "are you ok?" I just say "normal for me" unless I do need help.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    always interesting when the white privilege gets taken from you sharply and you get to experience the other side. welcome to the minority!!!
    ableism and white privilege share many of the same qualities. when you were able bodied, you think very little/seldom of those who couldnt walk. it was always assumed you could; you could get into any place of business without even a thought as to if it was possible. every now and then you'd think about the disabled, but soon were back to your routine. same with whit privilege.

the reason why that black guy was able to just breeze through and simper is because HE'D BEEN DOING IT ALL HIS LIFE. it's called shuffle and shine. every black kid, especially if you're male, knows how to do this since the time that you come out of the womb. and it doesnt matter if some ignorant white person says some bs, you learn to suck it up, deal and if you had to correct them, you be as polite as possible just like the black guy reminding them that he's a quad.

the same ignorant shit said about ppl with disabilities is the same shit minorities have had to suffer through since they decided to enslave us and make up shit to justify their actions.

humanity has a slow learning curve. hope one day we can actually have equality.
    Being an "inspiration" is the same as "being a credit to your race."

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Being an "inspiration" is the same as "being a credit to your race."
    exactly!!! same shit wrapped up in a dif package and no one wants to realize it.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/