Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I must be competely unenlightened. The hand job comment about my hand really made me mad. If it had been a friend I would totally have laughed, so context has a lot to do w/ it. If I told a stranger that her missing teeth must make her great at bj's, I wouldn't expect the stranger to be thrilled. After all, she probably liked having teeth for chewing

The airport example is just something I'm seeing more of as the country becomes ever more polarized. Sheeple are istening to this fox news crap about entitlements and handouts and mark my words-the disabled population is going to catch the brunt of it. The airport guy is the tip of the iceberg on that one. They aren't using common sense. We literally CANNOT go thru the reguar line in security b/c w/chairs are metal. We HAVE to be fondled and groped to clear security. I'm ok w/that. But the sheeple see us going around to the side and assume there is also a limo to take us to the gate. The WSJ comment was from an article about the airport miracles. They are honestly angry b/c they think we're getting something special they aren't. They also think we're getting free $$, that half of us are faking for the big bucks. They're mad that we get bulkhead seating. And yes, they are mad b/c they perceive us having great parking. We need to raise awareness on that one-that we are at high risk of being run over in parking lots.

Yeah, haters gonna hate, some is stupid, some is funny. But as we all start being perceived as the mythical Caddy-driving Gucci-wearing "welfare queens" of the 90's, I think it's going to be a lot less funny.

I've never been on this end of manufactured bias before. I've caught crap for being a feminazi before but the ppl saying it didn't know I consider that a badge of honor.

Being lumped in w/ (a fairy tale group of) entitlement-crazy, lazy, spoiled disability and medicare abusers that are sucking off the govt teat buying diamonds w/ other ppl's hard-earned tax money, are part of the problem, have never worked or tried to work because we're the visible proof of a nation that has been indoctrinated in the belief that we aren't responsible for ourselves, by virtue of having broken our necks...are you comfortable with that? I'm not.

I was once the subject of an article in the Tulsa newspaper. The point of the article was thaat we were fighting for passage of the CDRPA. It was pretty innocuous. I would have oliked more emphasis on the fact that Sen. Tom Coburn blatantly lied to me, his constituent. The bill had been shot down at the last minute of the last hour of a midnight vote. I wanted to know who killed it. Coburn claimed not to know-but it had been Coburn himself. There could have been discussion of what the bill was and wasn't. Coburn killed it b/c of the Reeve name. He's a zealous anti-choicer and believed that somehow, secretly, the bill would promote research on poor little unborn babies. It didn't. I wasn't wasting my time fighting for esc research in the W years, because W wasn't going to let it happen.

My stepson turned on the computer and turned white. He conferred w/ my husband. They told me not to read the comments. For years I didn't. When I did it was a mess of ppl criticizing how I was injured (being stupid, I'm the first to say). How I made a iving. How I clearly lived high on the hog on their tax dollars. How much my wheelchair cost, how I paid for it, who paid for my health insurance, how God broke my neck b/c I was a baby-killing heathen...That was 7 years ago. The country is so much more polarized now. We've got an obstructionist legislature doing nothing but spouting off about whatever percentage of U.S. citizens are living off taxes, not paying them.

I'm saying there is a culture of hatred being manufactured and we disabled folk are the face of it. It's like we all turned another, less popular, race.

There's the dumb stuff AB's say, always good for a giggle. This airport business is another thing. When a woman states in the WSJ that her son is a quad and they require certain concessions to travel, and another human says "I'm sorry about your son but it's not my problem. I have my own problems"-that indicates to me that the culture is going awry. Compassion is being killed. I really wish in this climate that I didn't have a chair attached to my butt that identifies me as The Problem.
    always interesting when the white privilege gets taken from you sharply and you get to experience the other side. welcome to the minority!!!
    ableism and white privilege share many of the same qualities. when you were able bodied, you think very little/seldom of those who couldnt walk. it was always assumed you could; you could get into any place of business without even a thought as to if it was possible. every now and then you'd think about the disabled, but soon were back to your routine. same with whit privilege.

the reason why that black guy was able to just breeze through and simper is because HE'D BEEN DOING IT ALL HIS LIFE. it's called shuffle and shine. every black kid, especially if you're male, knows how to do this since the time that you come out of the womb. and it doesnt matter if some ignorant white person says some bs, you learn to suck it up, deal and if you had to correct them, you be as polite as possible just like the black guy reminding them that he's a quad.

the same ignorant shit said about ppl with disabilities is the same shit minorities have had to suffer through since they decided to enslave us and make up shit to justify their actions.

humanity has a slow learning curve. hope one day we can actually have equality.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Just a few days ago I guy passed me on the street and looked at me like we were old friends. For an instant I thought, Do I know him? The next words out of his mouth were, "Hey slow down or you'll get a speeding ticket." The fact that I wanted to bullet through his head, however, reflected more on the stressful mood I was already in rather than the "warning" of his seminally classic douchey comment that's supposed to pass for humor. The burden of my reaction was/is mine. After all, it's my reaction, my mind's response. I own it. I have to tend to it.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    always interesting when the white privilege gets taken from you sharply and you get to experience the other side. welcome to the minority!!!
    ableism and white privilege share many of the same qualities. when you were able bodied, you think very little/seldom of those who couldnt walk. it was always assumed you could; you could get into any place of business without even a thought as to if it was possible. every now and then you'd think about the disabled, but soon were back to your routine. same with whit privilege.

the reason why that black guy was able to just breeze through and simper is because HE'D BEEN DOING IT ALL HIS LIFE. it's called shuffle and shine. every black kid, especially if you're male, knows how to do this since the time that you come out of the womb. and it doesnt matter if some ignorant white person says some bs, you learn to suck it up, deal and if you had to correct them, you be as polite as possible just like the black guy reminding them that he's a quad.

the same ignorant shit said about ppl with disabilities is the same shit minorities have had to suffer through since they decided to enslave us and make up shit to justify their actions.

humanity has a slow learning curve. hope one day we can actually have equality.
    Sing it, sister! You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Just a few days ago I guy passed me on the street and looked at me like we were old friends. For an instant I thought, Do I know him? The next words out of his mouth were, "Hey slow down or you'll get a speeding ticket." The fact that I wanted to bullet through his head, however, reflected more on the stressful mood I was already in rather than the "warning" of his seminally classic douchey comment that's supposed to pass for humor. The burden of my reaction was/is mine. After all, it's my reaction, my mind's response. I own it. I have to tend to it.
    correct. i call this getting over yourself. it's our egos that want to lash out when someone says this. and only when we realise/practice that we are responsible for changing how we react can we have true freedom of the mind. no one can make you do/feel anything. you choose how you do/feel
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Sing it, sister! You nailed it.
    I agree! Nailed it well I might say!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I feel my hackles go up a bit when I am blatantly being gawked at from afar (and sometimes from not so far), as well as when someone says, after asking about what happened to me, "Well, you're lucky. It could have been worse!". Obviously it could have been worse. Take any horrible event and it can always be worse. Many people who say this are nurses, and I wonder if they say the same thing to cancer patients upon learning of their affliction, or when interacting with rape survivors. And honestly, I know these people mean no harm. I don't believe their intent is to be offensive, and therefore how can I legitimately be upset? You can't be angry with someone who has no reason to believe that what they've said or done is disrespectful. As Stephen212 and crypticgimp have said, the only actions, reactions, thoughts and responses that we have jurisdiction over are our own, and I'm learning to accept and appreciate that. It's amazing how much calmer your life becomes when you begin to consciously manifest that realization.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Yeah that one is definitely a classic, but the one I hear most is "Wow, you get around really good in that" or, "Hey you wanna race?"

I think the one that annoys me the most is when I constantly hear "Do you need any help?" When it's obvious that I don't need any help. Don't get me wrong I certainly appreciate being offered helped when I need it and that people are willing to ask, but if I need help I will ask.

Edit: Oh I wanted to add that I would never get nasty, or be rude to those asking if I need help.
    Last edited by DestinationUnknown; 03-01-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Some questions are just inappropriate and should not be asked by a complete stranger. If you are curious about something Google is your friend.

I really want a shirt that says Yes My Pussy still works so we can get that question out the way quickly.

A random stranger, or someone you barely know asking if you get SSI.