Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Did you all see this: Handicap Parking and Bitterness?

Fantastic blog and writing. We should share widely. I do like revenge. urg!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Did you all see this: Handicap Parking and Bitterness?

I have been in that same situation twice in 19 years. So frustrating! It made my blood boil while reading it!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

We went to the doctor's office yesterday to see a new doctor (our doctor left the practice so Chad had to establish with a new doctor) and she said to Chad "So do you get out much?".

FAIL.

I suppressed my urge to say something very sarcastic. Chad diplomatically yet with just the right edge said "yes, every day of course", to which she looked properly sheepish.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    Here is something else that bugs me, people seem to think that I am all-understanding and have nothing better to do with my time than to listen to their problems. I try to be empathetic, but on a certain level I am resentful because if I bring up 'my stuff' the subject is changed. It seems people love to talk 'at' me, but not with me, if you know what I mean. I am getting really tired of it.

Hi everyone,
    I always have strange things said to me too. Gonna use some of these lol...
    i once went to a party being thrown by a co worker of my boyfriends. Well apparently his female co worker(not the one throwing the party) actually came up to me (with her friends in tow) pointed at me and laughed and said omg YOU ARE so and sos's girlfriend?!?! (She and friends walked away laughing). Not really my best night. (I didnt say anything back just smiled and nodded)

Here is a funny one: twisted my ankle doing a transfer so had to go to the emergancy..xrays done and getting a wrap from the doc he looks at me and says "you will be fine nothing major. Swelling will go down in a few days. Just try to stay off it and no pressure." Er ok.i have been para since i was very little and dont ever stand or put weight on my feet but then again he knew that..right?

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    Ha ha, sometimes doctors say the funniest things! I have a neurological disorder and my legs are mostly paralyzed. I had one of those tests where they put needles in your legs and send electricity through them to see how much function you have. When the test was over he grimly said "I'm sorry to tell you that you have lost 90% of your function". Really??? Now tell me something I don't know.

I freely admit to being bitter when ppl abuse hc parking. why shouldn't I be? they are selfish ppl.

Today when I went to sign up for school my admissions rep said multiple times why don't I get a power chair. Clearly he can see I can push myself just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    Today when I went to sign up for school my admissions rep said multiple times why don't I get a power chair. Clearly he can see I can push myself just fine.
    It's American couch potato thinking. Why push if you don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    It's American couch potato thinking. Why push if you don't have to?
    If you have to do major pushing all day for school or work , I would consider some power assist. One thing is for exercise and you chose to do i..but I ended up with serious issues form years of pushing..for work. I had to park and push through medical campus and hospitals and eventually did myself in and had to go to power assist. regular pushing is fine and good but if it is a everyday deal it may not be beneficial in the long run.

Though in college, I pushed all over campus and I was in great shape! But I was younger then!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda