Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    Actually, I really don't mind copping a bit of friendly ribbing about being in a chair.

Like, at a funeral recently my brother and his pal gave me a bit of a ribbing about how I should accessorise my chair....you know really stupid over the top stuff like, i should paint flames on the side, have a bell off of a bicycle, have those really long orange fluro sticks with the little orange flag on the end and my brother's pal even suggested I put a sticker with "if the chair is rockin'...".

It was funny because i also found it funny and i knew they meant no harm...jesus, i was encouraging it by suggesting i had a replica Michael Schumacher helmet on order from ebay, so i could wear it next time I went to the pub.

Yep, I don't mind the wheelchair jokes so much. I actually had a guardian bell under my chair. It's something that bikers give to each other to hang under their bike for a sort of protection. My husband got me the bell and hung it under my chair because he travels a lot. The sentiment was really nice.

I went to a violin recital yesterday and they were really short on chairs for the guest. The host thanked me for bringing my own chair. We all got a great laugh out of it.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Guardian Bell?, that is indeed a nice sentiment on hub's behalf!.

lol...brought your own chair, now see, that's funny without being patronising or dumb... How was the recital??.

I had a crack at the violin one day, it's frigging hard, you have to have softest touch to get anything out of it.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

^^After watching that video a while back I saw a stupid comment that I had to respond to. You can read the comment under the video on YouTube, but I'll save you the trouble and copy/paste it below.

Stupid comment quote: will if you are disabled or handicap why your driving ? that's from those people most the accident,
    if they dont know how to pomp gas they dont need to be driving

My response to this ignoramus.
    Quote: A person with a disability drives a vehicle for the exact same reasons as an able bodied person.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I don't like it when people assume I get disability payments. I am a self employed artist, but even then people think I must 'really' be getting money elsewhere, because who can make a living with art, come on.....

Was at my nephews t-ball practice today, had my 3yo niece n me ma..older guy sellin team shirts approaches and we get an order fer thhe fam.. then his progressive questions r as follows.
    -What happened? Were u born like that?
    "No I broke my neck" Back of my mind, yes people are born breakable dimwit.
    -Thats what happens having funn when your young he replies. What do u do or can u do?
    "Well I get out and about obviously enjoying my nephews practice at the moment.
    -Can u hold a pole? _so many times been asked that cause we live by the sea n rivers_Some follow up by him with should be getting me on a boat and out on the ocean, which we do have but of course its just that easy...
    -Latter of convo with him walking away is.. do u have upper body strength? the whole time im drinkng pepsi n liftin a bag of seeds into me mouth" Uhh yea I got me arms. but missing some muscle areas" Ehh u can shoot a bow. oh yea. Get u in a truck right out the window..no problem. All u need is yer back n arm muscles..Mom interludes with, IDK hes missing arm muscles, and then they both agree with each other that its the trying that counts...???!!!
    Im not 1 to get hung up on the falluable disabled mindsets of others but i definately run through the should have said defense lines..
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon View Post
    Was at my nephews t-ball practice today, had my 3yo niece n me ma..older guy sellin team shirts approaches and we get an order fer thhe fam.. then his progressive questions r as follows.
    -What happened? Were u born like that?
    "No I broke my neck" Back of my mind, yes people are born breakable dimwit.
    -Thats what happens having funn when your young he replies. What do u do or can u do?
    "Well I get out and about obviously enjoying my nephews practice at the moment.
    -Can u hold a pole? _so many times been asked that cause we live by the sea n rivers_Some follow up by him with should be getting me on a boat and out on the ocean, which we do have but of course its just that easy...
    -Latter of convo with him walking away is.. do u have upper body strength? the whole time im drinkng pepsi n liftin a bag of seeds into me mouth" Uhh yea I got me arms. but missing some muscle areas" Ehh u can shoot a bow. oh yea. Get u in a truck right out the window..no problem. All u need is yer back n arm muscles..Mom interludes with, IDK hes missing arm muscles, and then they both agree with each other that its the trying that counts...???!!!
    Im not 1 to get hung up on the falluable disabled mindsets of others but i definately run through the should have said defense lines..
    You should have asked him "You sure ask a lot of questions, what are you a Fucking detective?" Or the classic " What are you writing a book? Well leave this chapter out and make it a mystery."

Today I got "Are you allowed to go outside?" from a new PA. I can see I have my work cut out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    Today I got "Are you allowed to go outside?" from a new PA. I can see I have my work cut out for me.
    HAHA! Did they follow up with "It's so good to see you out and about"?

It's no wonder we come off as bitter. The shit that's said to us through the years really takes a toll. I'm mean, sure we laugh at it, but really, it SUCKS.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Did you all see this: Handicap Parking and Bitterness?

Katja,

That there is good stuff and spot on to this thread. Sometimes, people just drain me.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8