Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    It's also annoying when strangers approach you and tell you about their "best friend" who is in a wheelchair. They never know the SPECIFICS of ther "best friends" injury or daily activities but they feel the need to relate to me by letting me know that they been around people like me. Blah, blah, blah! I have life experience beside being in a chair. Can we just find some other common ground besides you being a hero for knowing another "exotic rare species of a wheelchair person in life? Annoying!
    Ahh yeah that old chestnut.

"Oh dude, don't sweat it, my cousin, like 5 times removed has the same thing, so like, it's no biggie to me". Then they sometimes will add..."my wife has depression".

So what are they saying?

The fact that you might have a condition that puts you in a chair is not really that big a deal and then they add how someone close has some sort of issue with their health that mightn't be very good but is very common and does not restrict them significantly.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

I'm always asked how I earn income.

I always ask why they're so broke.

at a gas station not far from my house I always filled up as they did it even though they were alone. then one asked me, after yrs of seeing my boeing badge, how much do they pay secretaries anyway? I stared at him, said I dunno, i'm an engineer. I am tired of the fight.

I know i'm not only one out there (and oh yeah, as f ab engineer I put up with a lot). i'm just sharing why i'm tired.
    Last edited by cass; 04-07-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    at a gas station not far from my house I always filled up as they did it even though they were alone. then one asked me, after yrs of seeing my boeing badge, how much do they pay secretaries anyway? I stared at him, said I dunno, i'm an engineer. I am tired of the fight.

I know i'm not only one out there (and oh yeah, as f ab engineer I put up with a lot). i'm just sharing why i'm tired.
    For a second there I thought you were going to douse the guy with gasoline and set him ablaze. Best that you didn't but maybe consider it for the movie version.

This is one of my favorite threads!! Now I will have to supress a big laugh on hearing these comments. It really got out of hand last week when the mall was full of Spring vacation shoppers.
    I wish the "one-liners" would start a support group.

I would have hard a hard time not letting out a deep belly laugh while responding that you were an engineer. No way I can help but laughing when people say things like this.

I'm a 51 year old white guy. A good friend of my mother was an engineer at Chance Vought back starting back in the 50s or 60s. So I grew seeing that as normal.

You say you are tired of the fight. I say that you won. Because of you and others, the war is largely over. Just some dinosaur (Archie Bunkers) left to become extinct.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Smile

Hi

first my standard intro - sorry for my poor english :-)

Few month ago i went in a motorcycle shop because i need a new accu 12V 16Ah
    The salesman asked "Ist it for a electric wheelchair" My answer "No, it is for my aircraft"
    The face was undescribably, especially when he remarked that it was true.

I have a sport pilot license and fly a italian Jetfox

Sometimes I have a hard time not responding to a strait line- I would have told him I was a crash tester.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Wink

Leaving church this morning I was in line behind a guy with walking cast on both ankles and using a walker, caught myself thinking how I hate to get behind a gimp. But hey, my leg bag was about to bust and he was between me and the restroom.

Actually, I really don't mind copping a bit of friendly ribbing about being in a chair.

Like, at a funeral recently my brother and his pal gave me a bit of a ribbing about how I should accessorise my chair....you know really stupid over the top stuff like, i should paint flames on the side, have a bell off of a bicycle, have those really long orange fluro sticks with the little orange flag on the end and my brother's pal even suggested I put a sticker with "if the chair is rockin'...".

It was funny because i also found it funny and i knew they meant no harm...jesus, i was encouraging it by suggesting i had a replica Michael Schumacher helmet on order from ebay, so i could wear it next time I went to the pub.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.