Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    You know what bothers me? I think a lot of us, myself included, are too "understanding" to AB's that say or stuff to us that is either ignorant, or none of their business. Why do we have to just say "thank you", even if it's demeaning help, or share with them information that they don't need to know? We don't want to come off as bitter, I think that's why.

Yesterday, I was leaving my office and was halfway down the hall when the door opens. The woman that opened it came through the door, passed the threshold and started in the hallway. Then she sees me and jumps out of the way to get the door. (I hate when people do that to begin with). Then she bellows "Hold it" because she was announcing to someone else at the other side of the door that I was there. WOW!

Then it gets even better because the person at the other side of the door says to me "don't run me over!". To me, that's one of the worst things to say. What did I say? Not much. Certainly not enough. Maybe we need to all start actually telling AB's how idiotic that just was but in a polite manner?

I don't know. I think we all just want to be like every one else. Normal. Whatever that means.
    i agree. that's why i do the deflection thing. i honestly dont give ppl anymore info than i deem necessary so it's a tightrope act for sure but apparently, constantly being blunt is also perceived as "rude" so damned if you do, damned if you dont. go by what feels right for you, but also try not to be rude, cuz u never know who is having a worse day than you.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    huh? what exactly do you mean? I assume you mean we have the right to try and possibly fail like anybody else, w/o interference. I really hated being side swiped by some religious ppl in market one day yrs ago. they insisted on laying hands on me, everybody was staring and the most embarrassing moment was when they stepped back and said, "now rise and walk!". I thought I was in a bad movie. never again.
    Cass, the boat between us and the younger generation has sailed. We can't even understand their language anymore LOL

I wander sometimes if that is what my granny was trying to tell me during all those "kitchen table" conversations that I hated at the time but wish so bad I could now go back and ask.

Anyway...religion will always have its zealots. Look at the Westboro clan. Notice I didn't call them a church. I can assure you people weren't staring at you when this happened though. They were likely wishing they could rescue you. Had I been in the store at the time...I would have done just that.

Ever watch Benny Hinn....I used to do it from boredom and to really have a belly laugh when I needed one. He is on late night TV for a reason....... He is much better than Benny Hill ever was and he is always trying to heal people who can already walk.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

it's sad/embarrassing when the religious do the laying of hands then. i wish i could a picture for the look of disappointment when their shit doesnt work.

Sometimes people don't have to say anything at all.

I was going to the pharmacy part of a grocery store. Out of the corner of my eye, I see this business suited, brief case carrying fellow hurrying up so he wouldn't have to wait on me to cross his path. He hurried up and stood there as our path crossed. I guess he figured he would rather wait than knock me down when he jumped around or over me. He would have done just that. He just nodded his head like he was being polite. I didn't even acknowledge him.

I can tolerate this behavior from kids...well up to a certain age but you have to wonder where some adults brains are housed.

The elderly and children...I can tolerate their rudeness but educated people? There is no excuse. I live in one of the most growing industrious elite areas for research so there are a lot of very smart people with no common sense.

One other thing I have noticed about this are in particular. If I am with someone, the other person is always acknowledged first before me even if I am first in the door or to sit down. It is really epidemic here as opposed to the other places I have lived.

But then again...this state needs to be the first to have a state religion and I live 30 minutes from all those hard working legislators. LOL Maybe its just too many brain cells being burned polluting the air here.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Sometimes people don't have to say anything at all.

I was going to the pharmacy part of a grocery store. Out of the corner of my eye, I see this business suited, brief case carrying fellow hurrying up so he wouldn't have to wait on me to cross his path. He hurried up and stood there as our path crossed. I guess he figured he would rather wait than knock me down when he jumped around or over me. He would have done just that. He just nodded his head like he was being polite. I didn't even acknowledge him.

I can tolerate this behavior from kids...well up to a certain age but you have to wonder where some adults brains are housed.

The elderly and children...I can tolerate their rudeness but educated people? There is no excuse. I live in one of the most growing industrious elite areas for research so there are a lot of very smart people with no common sense.

One other thing I have noticed about this are in particular. If I am with someone, the other person is always acknowledged first before me even if I am first in the door or to sit down. It is really epidemic here as opposed to the other places I have lived.

But then again...this state needs to be the first to have a state religion and I live 30 minutes from all those hard working legislators. LOL Maybe its just too many brain cells being burned polluting the air here.
    that crap gets old!!! the look of shock on their face when you speak up is astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    uhhh no i dont mean that. it's internet slang. here is the urban dictionary definition: To fail is to be either:
    Exceptionally bad at something, or to do/say something stupid to people

so the able bodied woman is a FAIL because she was being incredibly dumb to the person in the wheelchair.

no, i don't need the slang dictionary LOL! had you said epic fail or facepalm, i would have got it

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    it's sad/embarrassing when the religious do the laying of hands then. i wish i could a picture for the look of disappointment when their shit doesnt work.
    But it's so much fun to "try" to stand, sigh deeply, and then say "I guess you just didn't have enough faith to heal me."
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

LOL I have to remember to use that!!!
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    no, i don't need the slang dictionary LOL! had you said epic fail or facepalm, i would have got it
    yup, same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    But it's so much fun to "try" to stand, sigh deeply, and then say "I guess you just didn't have enough faith to heal me."
    i've done that. sooo funny