Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

hmm

A hot young stud asked me that once...God why did I let him get away?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    A hot young stud asked me that once...God why did I let him get away?
    Shoulda' said "Bend over bitch, and we'll see"...i do understand you said hot stud though...still applies...tee hee
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I have had people say that if they were in my shoes they'd probably kill themselves. I think that's a bit odd, probably says a lot about how they feel about themselves. I ride horses, on trails and once we went on a group ride. After the ride, when I got off my horse and got my crutches I overheard someone say "I didn't know the crutch person was riding with us". I think it's funny now, one of my AB friends sometimes calls me the 'crutch person' so we can both laugh at it. On the same ride, at the end when it was obvious a gimp had been on their ride, someone came up and asked what breed my horse was. Proudly I said "a Paso Fino" and the woman said "that makes sense, those are the kind that get down on their knees like a camel". Huh.....one of the odder things said to me regarding horses. I also get the "what therapy center did you get her from" question and they are surprised that she was not a therapy horse and was a young horse at that that I trained to do stuff like stand next to anything for me to get on and off from (it has to be as tall as the saddle so I can fling my leg over and then push myself on from).

I also get a LOT of the "you are so inspiring" and "bless your heart" and even "it is so neat that you go out in public" and "it is so nice to see that you can smile with your situation".

Sarafino, Where do you live that "it is so neat that you go out in public"?

I live in Colorado, this woman was saying it because I go out in public instead of staying in my house I guess. I'm a normal looking person, just in a chair or scooter. Not that weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
    I live in Colorado, this woman was saying it because I go out in public instead of staying in my house I guess. I'm a normal looking person, just in a chair or scooter. Not that weird.
    Do you have a spinal cord injury?

I have a degenerative nerve disorder. I used to use crutches but in the last few years have gone to a scooter/chair. It sucks but I sure don't feel like it is some amazing feat that I am not ashamed to go out in public.

It's also annoying when strangers approach you and tell you about their "best friend" who is in a wheelchair. They never know the SPECIFICS of ther "best friends" injury or daily activities but they feel the need to relate to me by letting me know that they been around people like me. Blah, blah, blah! I have life experience beside being in a chair. Can we just find some other common ground besides you being a hero for knowing another "exotic rare species of a wheelchair person in life? Annoying!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

When I took Dave to ER last Friday and the staff was fumbling with the hoyer lift (which my son ended up operating) one of the nurses said "ALS huh?"
    For some reason it pissed me off that she assumed it was ALS. I told her he had a C3 spinal cord injury 4 years ago.
    She said she used to take care of an ALS guy and assumed he was one.
    I know she meant no harm and it was only because I was stressed that it bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    It's also annoying when strangers approach you and tell you about their "best friend" who is in a wheelchair. They never know the SPECIFICS of ther "best friends" injury or daily activities but they feel the need to relate to me by letting me know that they been around people like me. Blah, blah, blah! I have life experience beside being in a chair. Can we just find some other common ground besides you being a hero for knowing another "exotic rare species of a wheelchair person in life? Annoying!
    Yeah, totally agree. Also the "I pray for people like you."

Though I am more than willing to talk about SPECIFIC solutions - that is a nice setup, where did you get it, do you think it could help me or my friend. And anyone who is trying to help me with specifics - I see you have this problem, have you tried X? - is also welcome.

This last weekend I had a little kid, maybe 5 years old, say "I hope you get better soon." From a kid, that's sweet. I would have been totally pissed if an adult said it.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.