Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    You shouldn't make fun of people, disability or not. The Archie Bunker brand of humor went out in the 70s.
    Definitely. You should never stoop to using ____ as a basis for humor. And don't make fun of the ____, the ____, or the ____. If you make a joke about ____ you might as well be starting a flame war. Of course, humor about the ____ can get you shot in the wrong places. While ____ may seem to tolerate jokes, inside they are hurting. And culturally, while ____, ____, and ____ jokes might have been fine 50 years ago, you would have to be completely insensitive to make them today.

However, it remains perfectly acceptable to ridicule elected officials.

(BTW, what your mind unconsciously filled those blanks in with might tell you a little about your own assumptions.)
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Mind just said the word blank for the blanks
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    However, it remains perfectly acceptable to ridicule elected officials
    Not sure if that was sarcastic. But yes, we should only criticize what they do and not their person.

There is a great line from Seinfeld that you could use as a nice comeback if you cant think of anything off the top of your head.

While at NBC as Jerry was preparing for a guest spot on the Letterman show, George was telling Jerry that he ran into David Letterman himself. George went to ask Letterman if he would ask out his girlfriend, Susan, because she was very attracted to Letterman and George wanted out of the relationship. George went on to say that Letterman told him to:

"The trick is to break the PROZAC in half".

ie. hinting that half the dose of this strong psychotropic drug might be a better alternative to a person who is obviously on the drug for the treatment of ongoing mental condition and that maybe the dosage of a full tablet was maybe still a bit strong and was making you say bizarre things.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

The sweetest 95 yr. old lady, who I have known all my life, asked me this morning while in church if I was in a wheelchair. I replied yes mam for 8 &1/2 yrs. I think she is slipping just a little. She has asked me this at least once a month for the last 2 yrs. Bless the old!

Angry

This happened last night (saturday evening)...

I had a guy I was friends and really really liked say to my face he wouldn't date me because I wasn't "normal and whole". It angered me to no end but me being an emotional person I ended up crying. He told me this in our church cafe. He then walked away and into the auditorium. I haven't heard from him since.
    Mimi

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post

I had a guy I was friends and really really liked say to my face he wouldn't date me because I wasn't "normal and whole". It angered me to no end but me being an emotional person I ended up crying. He told me this in our church cafe. He then walked away and into the auditorium. I haven't heard from him since.
    Sorry, novanoin. Those were cruel and hurtful words spoken by someone whose tremendous sense of pain and self-inadequacy was projected onto you. Your only answer is to discover and then know for yourself that it isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post

Mimi, you really don't need slime like that in your life. Anyone able to speak like that is not worth giving a second thought. Look for the kind at heart, there are lots.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    Mind just said the word blank for the blanks
    Mine was all Belgiums.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Mimi, you really don't need slime like that in your life. Anyone able to speak like that is not worth giving a second thought. Look for the kind at heart, there are lots.
    I would agree.