Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

I was getting out of my car tody at the grocery store. I was actually already out and sitting in my chair but I was bent over pulling my pants down around my shoes (pet peeve). I heard a cart rolling and people talking behind me. All of the sudden I hear this lady say in a panic voice tone, "honey go help that handicapped lady". I can't stand to be called that. I sat back up in my chair and quickly turned around. I said I appreciate your offer of help but I prefer to be called "princess" or "lady in the pink hoodie", even "young lady" will work for me. She said "oh my god honey, what happened to you" (in her sweet southern voice). I said I've been paralyzed for 19 years due to an accident. She said "oh honey bless your heart, I hope you get better". I said yes ma'am, I hope you get better too. She looked very confused and walked away with her family. I think the husband was embarrassed for her. He didn't say a word.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    "oh honey bless your heart, I hope you get better". I said yes ma'am, I hope you get better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    Living in China for a little over a year, I now know americans handle disability with grace and respect. Be thankful.

That's all I say about that.
    I wouldn't mind knowing more.

I have to agree with you. Most people are nice, kind, and they mean well.

I understand why you wouldn't want to say anything too negative.

It might be interesting to know. Im probably a little nosey though.

I was in a foreign country and this guy walks up to me very aggressively (like that car that doesn't apply it's brakes until it's right on you) and he says, "What's wrong with you?" I reply "That was rude." He replies "Sorry. So, what's wrong with you?".

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I don't know if this has already been posted but I thought I'd share because I can't stop watching it. What are some of the craziest things able bodied people have said to you?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SjTohfG7n5g

You know though, whats worse having some dickhead say something annoying or someone who completely denies your existence, or if they do acknowledge you, they are totally indifferent to you?.

I must admit that since being in my chair I've rarely been subject to idiotic comments or patronising behaviour from able bod people. I think I had my full share of "weird comments" when i was still walking around.

My mind swings between thinking people are too scared to say anything weird to me because I put on a confident front or I'm scary (which I doubt) OR worse they are totally indifferent and are just glad it aint them.

Trust me though I roughly know the names, dates, places of work or home addresses of every fucking jerk who's given me the shits about being disabled or anyone who's made a derogatory comment (to my knowledge) about my disability.

P.S...The net though, is different, I will wear any abuse I may cop as I usually deserve it....lol
    Last edited by WahWah; 03-07-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: adding a post script
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    Living in China for a little over a year, I now know americans handle disability with grace and respect. Be thankful.

That's all I say about that.
    +1 (was looking for the "Like" button...)

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I was in a foreign country and this guy walks up to me very aggressively (like that car that doesn't apply it's brakes until it's right on you) and he says, "What's wrong with you?" I reply "That was rude." He replies "Sorry. So, what's wrong with you?".
    Shit Axle, that was weird. Was this dude affected by drugs or something?...jeez people can be weird.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    +1 (was looking for the "Like" button...)
    hey good point kat.

Dear Care Cure bigwigs...can you add "Like/Dislike" buttons to the forums 'n that?.

I want to make a sign and hang it around my neck for my next doctor appointment. Just Tuesday I got these questions *again*.

Do you walk?
    Can you get up here?
    How tall are you?
    Can you get on the scale?
    How much do you weigh?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    Shit Axle, that was weird. Was this dude affected by drugs or something?...jeez people can be weird.
    It seemed like he had some issues. But to get too upset over it would be like getting upset at a child for being childish.