Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    That's horrific, I can't believe they'd say that to a newly SCI person. And on the other side of it there's people that really don't want to be alive anymore and they're not allowed to die with dignity.
    In 1981, the first thing a doctor at Shock Trauma told me was, "You're paralyzed, and it's hopeless."
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

On the bus this morning I transferred into a regular seat and hooked my chair into one of the tie-down straps. I was on the local route as I woke up too late for my normal, express bus. Eventually an older woman sat in the seat next to me and I noticed she was eyeing my chair and kind of putting her foot under the wheel so it wouldn't roll the 2 inches that the slack in the strap afforded. I chose to ignore this. Then, out of the blue:

HER: Do you have to push that using your hands?

ME: nod yes

HER: Do you have any special gloves?

ME: nod no

HER: I'm very proud of you.

ME: shrug

She gets off the bus at the next stop.
    I did not respond to her verbally as I could tell she was a person with which I did not want to engage.

Last week my dental hygienist told me it was "an honour" to clean my teeth. Luckily she still had her hands in my mouth, so I could just smile awkwardly with no need for a response.

so sometimes my friends say things that just make laugh. i invited them to come to a sit skit and one friend responded, she is AB, "oh well i dont think we can water ski as friend x and friend y have broken ankles, remember?"
    me: so the ppl with spinal cord injuries will ski and you don't want to come due to hurt ankles?
    friend: uhh... wow i'm dumb.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post

HER: Do you have to push that using your hands?

ME: nod yes

HER: Do you have any special gloves?

ME: nod no

HER: I'm very proud of you.

ME: shrug

She gets off the bus at the next stop.
    I did not respond to her verbally as I could tell she was a person with which I did not want to engage.
    BRIAN! You sure are smart, Brian!(that's in my best Bitch Stewie voice). Not to mention an inspiration.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    BRIAN! You sure are smart, Brian!(that's in my best Bitch Stewie voice). Not to mention an inspiration.
    Lmao. And yeah, best not to engage most people on the bus. I don't like being anti-social but usually it's just better not to give any seniors a reason to make an effort to "relate". Like "I know how it feels, I have an in-grown toenail." or "my granddaughter once broke her ankle". Completely the same as having a spinal cord injury.

As soon as she said, "Do you have to push that using your hands?" it was over. I mean, how does she think a wheelchair works? It was as if she'd never seen one before.

I make it a point to never be rude to anyone and always try to educate people - even if it's just a little bit. The public are ignorant about disabilities and the only way to change that is to educate. I evaluate every situation differently and, for example, will answer in-depth every question a child asks but only do the minimum with old, strange bus people. Everyone who asks me a disability question will learn something. How much depends on if I think they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    As soon as she said, "Do you have to push that using your hands?" it was over. I mean, how does she think a wheelchair works?
    No hands, I just hang my **** out in front and let the gravitational pull from such a massive object pull me along. I just use my hands to steer.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I was at a sprint car race in Knoxville, Iowa once and someone came up to me and said "I'm so glad to see people like you out." I wanted to ask what type did he mean, business owner, college graduate, web developer, speaker, or something else? Unfortunately, the wheelchair seating, and most places, is pretty noisy, so he never would have heard me. I just nodded slightly and rolled my eyes as he walked away. My dad was with me, his comment was that people don't know what to say.

My favorite is still the one I put on the similar thread a few years ago. In a restaurant in small town Washington state the waitress asked my mom sitting beside me, "Does he drink water?" I was like 17 at the time and was too surprised to have a good comeback.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Was in a minor car accident a few months ago (not my fault) and when I told a friend about it she said I should have screamed "I can't feel my legs" I love friends with warped senses of humour who suggest I say stuff that I wouldn't dare say or do.