Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shit people say to the disabled

I don't know if this has already been posted but I thought I'd share because I can't stop watching it. What are some of the craziest things able bodied people have said to you?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SjTohfG7n5g

The worst thing anyone can say is a sentence with the word 'inspirational' in it.

I hate when people offer to help and then get all pissed when I say no thanks. Like when I'm disassembling my chair and putting it in my car and some random person comes by, offers help (which I decline), and then proceeds to "help" anyway can scratches my car with my chair.

But my BIGGEST pet peeve is when AB's camp out in the handicap accessible stall for what seems like hours when all of the other stalls are open...and then give me the stink eye on their way out.
    Last edited by msummer99; 02-28-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msummer99 View Post
    The worst thing anyone can say is a sentence with the word 'inspirational' in it.
    Agreed. A almost vomit when I here "you're such an inspiration" I always ask "for what"

Quote Originally Posted by msummer99 View Post
    Ding Ding Ding! The winner of the $64,000 prize is...

Bleh, anyway - it really makes me want to vomit when I hear "inspirational" and anything related to me in the same sentence. It's somehow an "inspiration" to people that I'm not an emotional black hole of dysfunction and despair. Somehow "inspirational" because I happen to do the same things anyone else does ("Oh wow! She's pumping gas into her car all by herself! What an inspiration!". It truly makes me want to vomit.

People don't get it. It is not inspirational that I choose to live my life. I'm like anyone else - nothing is special about me aside from the hunk of titanium I'm glued to. It doesn't help though that much of the 'community' of SCI folks (and I'm probably going to upset a few of you by saying this) plays up this 'inspiration' thing. A huge chunk of SCI folks seem to be motivational speakers and really play up that whole 'inspiration' thing. So we won't be rid of it until the community itself stops embracing and promoting this aspect...
    Andria - T6/7 Transverse Myelitis - My Chariots: Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion | 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1

When someone calls me inspirational, I usually tell them "so are you". It works best if you know the person a little bit. If there a little older, you can say " look at you so beautiful and together as you age' or " look how well you are doing after that divorce", or look how beautiful you keep this yard, what an inspiration you are. You just get a funny look, and then they go on talking about themselves. After all we are all inspirational in one way or another, just living this life and surviving, and sometimes thriving is a small miracle in itself IMO. Valleygirl, give it a try and let me know how it goes.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyGirl View Post
    A huge chunk of SCI folks seem to be motivational speakers and really play up that whole 'inspiration' thing. So we won't be rid of it until the community itself stops embracing and promoting this aspect...
    Actually, most cripples feel the same way you do. There *are* a number of folks who do the motivational speaker thing, but the percentage is pretty low.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Hey valley...your avatar. Is that the rear end of a Merc W210 E55?...Bloody nice car.

Aufrecht Melcher Grossaspach...you know what's funny about that...AMG?...it's also (in German) Ach Mein Gott...or as we know it Oh My God...or OMG...lolz. It seems fitting for such a beast of a car.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

There are so many things people say. I don't get sensitive about it but its nice having threads like this to vent to people who "get it". AB's annoy me the most at the grocery store. I carry a laundry basket on my lap and pile my groceries in there and then stack the bags back in the basket and slide the basket in to the cargo space in my car. Works perfectly. It never fails, every time I'm at the store shopping, minding my own business an AB comes up to me in a panic and says "OMG, let me go get you a cart". I always decline and say no thank you, this works for me. Sometimes they insist and I have to explain why the hell pushing a cart doesn't work for me since MY HANDS ARE BUSY PUSHING MY CHAIR! AB's don't get that pushing a cart and my chair doesn't work. So annoying.

"Inspirational" is totally annoying.

I also hate it when they say "who drove you here" or "I'm so glad you were able to get out today".
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

On seeing my clawed-up tenodesis-only right hand holding a microphone at a rally: "That hand must be perfect for hand jobs." *leering smirk, we're all in this together wink*

Bitch, that is my right hand. I was right-handed. It is a painful appendage, hurts like a mofo. We are not in this together. If we were you would know I mourn its loss as a tool of great utility. That loss of function is not compensated by your perception of it as a nifty sexual aid.

I repeat: That is my HAND, you clueless 2 handed AB able-ist twit. And if you had a penis I would not give you a handjob with Ray Lewis' hand because you are a clueless twit that deserves no sexual gratification. Ever.

2nd Runner UpParaphrased from the comment section of the WSJ. I should NEVER read the comments!) The ADA has only reinforced America's descent into a nanny state. Disabled peope claim to want equality but they really want special privileges. It is ppl like you that have caused all Americans to believe they are entitled to a handout.Nobody is entitled; you should have worked hard so you would be successful, like me. You should stand in line like everyone else at the airport. I don't care that clearly your wheelchair will trigger metal detectors. You probably didn't even lpay for that wheechair anyway. I did, with my tax dollars. I am sorry about your son's quadripegia but it's not my problem that he can't access the toilet. I have my own problems. I take care of my problems so you shoud take care of yours. Now get out of the way b/c I need to pee, then I have a flight to catch. And I don't care that you can only use the h/c toilet. That is just you wanting special treatment because of your 'DISABILITY" again. I am using the h/c toilet now b/c I got here first. I need to have a convo on my cell phone. I did too much coke and sweated thru my button-up shirt and need to change shirts. Do you see now? I HAVE MY OWN PROBLEMS!

(This guy I WOULD give a handjob w/ Ray Lewis' hand. The one with a knife in it.)

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    On seeing my clawed-up tenodesis-only right hand holding a microphone at a rally: "That hand must be perfect for hand jobs." *leering smirk, we're all in this together wink*

Bitch, that is my right hand. I was right-handed. It is a painful appendage, hurts like a mofo. We are not in this together. If we were you would know I mourn its loss as a tool of great utility. That loss of function is not compensated by your perception of it as a nifty sexual aid.

I repeat: That is my HAND, you clueless 2 handed AB able-ist twit. And if you had a penis I would not give you a handjob with Ray Lewis' hand because you are a clueless twit that deserves no sexual gratification. Ever.

2nd Runner UpParaphrased from the comment section of the WSJ. I should NEVER read the comments!) The ADA has only reinforced America's descent into a nanny state. Disabled peope claim to want equality but they really want special privileges. It is ppl like you that have caused all Americans to believe they are entitled to a handout.Nobody is entitled; you should have worked hard so you would be successful, like me. You should stand in line like everyone else at the airport. I don't care that clearly your wheelchair will trigger metal detectors. You probably didn't even lpay for that wheechair anyway. I did, with my tax dollars. I am sorry about your son's quadripegia but it's not my problem that he can't access the toilet. I have my own problems. I take care of my problems so you shoud take care of yours. Now get out of the way b/c I need to pee, then I have a flight to catch. And I don't care that you can only use the h/c toilet. That is just you wanting special treatment because of your 'DISABILITY" again. I am using the h/c toilet now b/c I got here first. I need to have a convo on my cell phone. I did too much coke and sweated thru my button-up shirt and need to change shirts. Do you see now? I HAVE MY OWN PROBLEMS!

(This guy I WOULD give a handjob w/ Ray Lewis' hand. The one with a knife in it.)
    OMG, I cant believe that came out of someones mouth.
    Every day I wake up is a good one