Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I was at a sprint car race in Knoxville, Iowa once and someone came up to me and said "I'm so glad to see people like you out." I wanted to ask what type did he mean, business owner, college graduate, web developer, speaker, or something else? Unfortunately, the wheelchair seating, and most places, is pretty noisy, so he never would have heard me. I just nodded slightly and rolled my eyes as he walked away. My dad was with me, his comment was that people don't know what to say.

My favorite is still the one I put on the similar thread a few years ago. In a restaurant in small town Washington state the waitress asked my mom sitting beside me, "Does he drink water?" I was like 17 at the time and was too surprised to have a good comeback.
We get that one too. "It's so good to see you out". .. ... Ummmm... OK, whatever, as opposed to under a rock? Locked in an institution? This is 2013 people! We never know what to say back either. "Thanks" seems to validate their idiocy, but we don't want to be snarky either as they are trying to be nice in their own weird way.