Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Hi everyone, i fine for the most part strangers are kind they try to be helpfull i have this pink walker and most everyone comments on it i guess it takes there mind off of me and gives them something to say. its a closer circle of people like someonei rode horses with or someone i worked with when i see them they say well you are the strong person if any can go through this its you. wait a minute i cryed every day for over a year trying to figure out how to live this life. i was just like you before i got Tm.

You got a pink one? I want a pink one.

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger."

Not. That which has not killed me has mainly just fucking sucked. That's me being positive LOL.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    or, just smile say "wow that's interesting" and change the topic to something like the latest news, or a special at th grocery store. typically these ppl often find me when i cant reach something so i ask them to grab x, they tell me their life story, i listen, say ty i soo needed x for a recipe and BAM we talk about food. no psychologist's hat needed.
    Stephen is so smart, but you're right too. These threads that pop up from time to time have me more mindful of how I'm treated. I have to say that its rare where I feel like I'm being patronized. I love to talk and when I meet someone and we start to talk, rarely will my disability come up even though it's obvious. Women usually want to talk about how I get my hair so straight and shiny or about my shoes or clothes. Of course I like to talk bout girly stuff so its a fun conversation for both. Men usually ask me where's my husband or bf, they're usually more flirty, but I'm pretty good at talking with men about sports or current events. Last week I was an hour and half early for my class and so was my male classmate, he sat next to me in the hall and we talked a good hour about his previous work, my previous work and why we chose going into teaching. These are what most of my encounters are like and if my wheelchair does come up I explain what happened. For me, I enjoy the interaction however it comes.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Stephen is so smart, but you're right too. These threads that pop up from time to time have me more mindful of how I'm treated. I have to say that its rare where I feel like I'm being patronized. I love to talk and when I meet someone and we start to talk, rarely will my disability come up even though it's obvious. Women usually want to talk about how I get my hair so straight and shiny or about my shoes or clothes. Of course I like to talk bout girly stuff so its a fun conversation for both. Men usually ask me where's my husband or bf, they're usually more flirty, but I'm pretty good at talking with men about sports or current events. Last week I was an hour and half early for my class and so was my male classmate, he sat next to me in the hall and we talked a good hour about his previous work, my previous work and why we chose going into teaching. These are what most of my encounters are like and if my wheelchair does come up I explain what happened. For me, I enjoy the interaction however it comes.
    So how do you get your hair so straight and shiny?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger."

Not. That which has not killed me has mainly just fucking sucked. That's me being positive LOL.
    fin ditto.

Some fuck on a hearing aid forum called me bullshit, people can't be this bad off. If i find him i'll set him on fire electrocute him and start breaking his bones. up all night no sleep in 4-5 days and losing it
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    i'm pretty vain so always make sure i look good. dont want to be that stereotype of the person in the wheelchair that dresses in sweats etc. but yea sometimes i get the "oh wow where did you get x?" tho some women, especially at concerts, feel the need to pet my legs o_O

but yea, it's all about your attitude because only you can dictate how you feel about something.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

SCI the gift that keeps taking
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    You got a pink one? I want a pink one.
    Walker or Elephant?
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.