Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

It happened, AGAIN!!!! Today a lady around my age said in an exhausted tone of voice..........drum roll please.......
    "YOU ARE SO LUCKY YOU DON'T HAVE TO WALK, I BET IT'S FUN RIDING AROUND IN THAT CHAIR".

I said yes, it's especially fun to take it apart and put it in my car. It's also fun going up hills and through narrow door ways. The best part is when it doesn't fit in restrooms though.

She looked at me like I was the meanest person she had ever come in contact with and didn't say another word. It was an awkward moment for the rest of our time in the waiting room together.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

no one tells me im lucky except drs.
    They look upset, embarrassed to be noticed staring, they wait for me to pass and then watch me "walk" down the walmart. sometimes groups of people are staring.

I hear things like, what happened?! what happened to your legs? oh you poor thing! (the worst thing to say to me ever when im trying to ambulate)
    Iv seen people shake their head and say, oh what a shame, she must have been a looker once though.

people think im drunk, even once police on bicycles tried to make me get of my trycicle and do a sobriety test.

A drunk saw the police man trying to pull me up off my trike, and (good ole tony budanno) staggers out of the junkhouse and says in his best drunk voice, Hey! She aint drunk! she's like that for real! she got car hit!

Tony was top of his class at Drexel U. he was givin a full engineering scholarship. I forget why.

He was hit by a fire truck on a drunk walk home twenty years before. spent many months recovering his broken bones. his legs were going to be amputated, but he refused. he's been walking around as the town fool ever since.

He brags he is a cosack count. I checked it out. Its true. I call him count Budano, and he stiffens up and looks proud. as he tweeks his shirt collar when he is addressed correctly.

He would get thrown out of bars all the time, and hated bathing, so you can guess how he was treated.

he saved me twice from being harrassed about the same way. He was so drunk he could hardly stand, but his vouching for me was enough. no one there mistakes me for drunk. only strangers. I forget how I met him. oh, he walked into a little cafe I was entertaining at. before I was hit. He asked to play me a song on my guitar.

started to tell me how he used to play with the rolling stones. that is another story. and again, Count Budano surprised the hell out of everyone one day, when that silly overheard story became a bit more solid.

Able bodied people say some silly things, but watch one cripple defend another to the able bodied.
    you're bound to hear something funny.

Something that really makes me mad is when people say I hope you feel better as if I'm sick.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    It happened, AGAIN!!!! Today a lady around my age said in an exhausted tone of voice..........drum roll please.......
    "YOU ARE SO LUCKY YOU DON'T HAVE TO WALK, I BET IT'S FUN RIDING AROUND IN THAT CHAIR".

I said yes, it's especially fun to take it apart and put it in my car. It's also fun going up hills and through narrow door ways. The best part is when it doesn't fit in restrooms though.

She looked at me like I was the meanest person she had ever come in contact with and didn't say another word. It was an awkward moment for the rest of our time in the waiting room together.
    What a fantastic response. I hope she felt like the idiot she is the rest of the time she was there.

My Dad is c3-c4, incomplete (sensory).

1) My Dad had changed his durable power of attorney (prior to his injury) -- so that two of my siblings would no longer have sole power DPA (their power was lessened, shall we say) and they discovered the change after my Dad's injury.

My sibling was openly annoyed and told my Mom not to sign anything which I ask her to sign (cuz the two still have sole power of DPA over her) -- and then to my Dad, eyes open and lying in bed: "I guess that I don't have to worry about YOU signing anything anymore."

2) My Dad was not informed that the doctors gave him 6-18 months to live post injury. However, he does know that high-level SCI folks over 70 have a 4-5 times higher chance of passing in the first year post injury.

I wanted to get a very nice wheelchair (such as power) for my Dad. My Mom didn't want to spend the money - since at the time, a co-payment was needed.

My sibling's response at my Dad's bedside -- my Dad's eyes were closed, but it's not always the case that he's asleep: "Why get an expensive wheelchair? We should do a cost-benefit analysis. Where do you see Dad in 18 months?"
    Last edited by Joey_SF; 05-19-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_SF View Post
    My Dad is c3-c4, incomplete (sensory).

1) My Dad had changed his durable power of attorney (prior to his injury) -- so that two of my siblings would no longer have sole power of DPA (their power was lessened, shall we say) and they discovered the change after my Dad's injury.

My sibling was openly annoyed and told my Mom not to sign anything which I ask her to sign (cuz the two would still have sole power) -- and then to my Dad, eyes open and lying in bed: "I guess that I don't have to worry about YOU signing anything anymore."

2) My Dad was not informed that the doctors gave him 6-18 months to live post injury. However, he does know that high-level SCI folks over 70 have a 4-5 times higher chance of passing in the first year post injury.

I wanted to get a very nice wheelchair (such as power) for my Dad. My Mom didn't want to spend the money - since at the time, a co-payment was needed.

My sibling's response at my Dad's bedside -- my Dad's eyes were closed, but it's not always the case that he's asleep: "Why get an expensive wheelchair? We should do a cost-benefit analysis. Where do you see Dad in 18 months?"
    He is worth the investment! Whether it is 1 day or 10 years I'd do what I could to give him the best life possible. You can always sell it later.

Joey, how did you turn out so well with a family like that? Thanks to your dad, no doubt.

Ya, really nice sibblings, your dads life is at stake and they are thinking about the buck.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Just heard one of the classics for the first time.. I broke my knee about 10 days ago and am currently an in hospital waiting for MRI results, anyway, I know someone with spina bifida in the ward next to mine so we were going down to get a coffee from costa and someone walked past and said "hey, are you two gonna have a race in a minute?". I didn't have time to think of a sarcy response but I did give him the foulest look I think I could manage. Dunno how anyone would that that's appropriate or funny.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Some drunk I don't know, when I was out at a late-night club w/ my husband some years ago: "Seeing you like this makes me want to cry."

Wow. Joey's sibs make us look like angels! What a douche!