Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    It's no wonder you (anyone) feel the way you do about people when looking through shit coated glasses.

People letting you get in the elevator first is just simple human courtesy.

No one is watching over you - unless YOU feel you need watching over and decide that's what others are doing.

No one is pushing you into the corner with your back to everyone - unless YOU choose to go into the corner and not turn yourself around. Since you're going in first, you have plenty of room to turn your chair around.

Sometimes, I think ppl with disabilities (generally, folks here) look for ways to villainize the abled-bodied, those "AB" folks, stigmatizing them as some "Other", always feeling persecuted or that Others are out to get them.

If abled bodied folks rush to get in the elevators first, not allowing wc ppl to get in first, then the wheelers will cry (have cried) foul how those AB's could easily take the stairs, or better yet, take the escalators, instead of selfishly taking space in elevators and taking up the space that ppl using wheelchairs have no other choice but taking.

Then, it's...

How dare those AB's not let you get on first!
    agreed. a lot of this thread can be summed up as "ppl are dumb" which happens whether one is disabled or not.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    It's no wonder you (anyone) feel the way you do about people when looking through shit coated glasses.

People letting you get in the elevator first is just simple human courtesy.

No one is watching over you - unless YOU feel you need watching over and decide that's what others are doing.

No one is pushing you into the corner with your back to everyone - unless YOU choose to go into the corner and not turn yourself around. Since you're going in first, you have plenty of room to turn your chair around.

Sometimes, I think ppl with disabilities (generally, folks here) look for ways to villainize the abled-bodied, those "AB" folks, stigmatizing them as some "Other", always feeling persecuted or that Others are out to get them.

If abled bodied folks rush to get in the elevators first, not allowing wc ppl to get in first, then the wheelers will cry (have cried) foul how those AB's could easily take the stairs, or better yet, take the escalators, instead of selfishly taking space in elevators and taking up the space that ppl using wheelchairs have no other choice but taking.

Then, it's...

How dare those AB's not let you get on first!
    this is not only exclusive to AB's but also their own kind.

we are all humans forgive, forget and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Or when you are the only on the elevator, it stops at an in between floor, doors open and the people who "were" going to get on, just stare at you and are completely flustered. I have to talk them in to getting on, saying "it's ok, plenty of room". I've had some say "no, I'll get the next one". WTF?
    Elevators are fun. I had a woman so flustered because she was in an elevator with a scary wheelchair person she wouldn't get close enough to me to push the button to her floor. You just have to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Elevators are fun. I had a woman so flustered because she was in an elevator with a scary wheelchair person she wouldn't get close enough to me to push the button to her floor. You just have to laugh.
    Maybe it was the Eastwood scowl on your face. Smile and the world smiles with you.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Maybe it was the Eastwood scowl on your face. Smile and the world smiles with you.
    Could be that or it could be that because of Clint's groundbreaking example for wheelchair users I am now allowed to hold a conversation with my chair and no one will think I am crazy (well no Republican at least )

well I was out one night, and a woman I didn't know came up to me..."Can you still have sex?..." ( i was dumb founded) "here's my #." ....! um, sorry my boyfriend won't approve?

I should start a thread....."Things people say to disabled spouses."
    Well, am sure you can imagine.........

"Oh, Loverboy...."

Ok, that's my wife. And while she is the only one for me, I sure wouldn't mind a few more "smokin'" "Damn!" "Take me to bed or lose me forever" from complete strangers.

*sigh*

Just because I never got those as AB, doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate them now.

Of course, I just blame the gray hair. Nowadays, if I get asked for ID, I think they are just checking to see if I'm eligible for the senior rates.

Realistically, there is no incentive in the world that would tempt me to switch my current condition for an AB teen, but I do wish I was as healthy as I was at 30.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Said to my wife...

... Does he talk?

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    A story from Not Always Right:
    At least it wasn't this: http://notalwaysright.com/the-biggest-abuser/28744

I find it interesting how the comments I get have changed with going from forearm crutches to a chair. In the chair the ones I get the most are the versions of compliments on the ability to do the simplest thing, like wheel through a doorway or down a hallway. "Wow you get around really well in that don't you!"

In the forearm crutches, what I got most often were the versions of "whats wrong with you?"/"What happened?" followed by "but you're so young!" because someone my age can't possibly be disabled, I must be healing from some accidental injury.

The strangest thing yet was when a guy in front of me turned around and said "there are no cripples in heaven. Did you know that? No cripples in heaven." and then turned back around.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.