Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit people say to the disabled

Shit people say to the disabled

I don't know if this has already been posted but I thought I'd share because I can't stop watching it. What are some of the craziest things able bodied people have said to you?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SjTohfG7n5g

The worst thing anyone can say is a sentence with the word 'inspirational' in it.

I hate when people offer to help and then get all pissed when I say no thanks. Like when I'm disassembling my chair and putting it in my car and some random person comes by, offers help (which I decline), and then proceeds to "help" anyway can scratches my car with my chair.

But my BIGGEST pet peeve is when AB's camp out in the handicap accessible stall for what seems like hours when all of the other stalls are open...and then give me the stink eye on their way out.
    Last edited by msummer99; 02-28-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msummer99 View Post
    The worst thing anyone can say is a sentence with the word 'inspirational' in it.
    Agreed. A almost vomit when I here "you're such an inspiration" I always ask "for what"

There are so many things people say. I don't get sensitive about it but its nice having threads like this to vent to people who "get it". AB's annoy me the most at the grocery store. I carry a laundry basket on my lap and pile my groceries in there and then stack the bags back in the basket and slide the basket in to the cargo space in my car. Works perfectly. It never fails, every time I'm at the store shopping, minding my own business an AB comes up to me in a panic and says "OMG, let me go get you a cart". I always decline and say no thank you, this works for me. Sometimes they insist and I have to explain why the hell pushing a cart doesn't work for me since MY HANDS ARE BUSY PUSHING MY CHAIR! AB's don't get that pushing a cart and my chair doesn't work. So annoying.

"Inspirational" is totally annoying.

I also hate it when they say "who drove you here" or "I'm so glad you were able to get out today".
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

On seeing my clawed-up tenodesis-only right hand holding a microphone at a rally: "That hand must be perfect for hand jobs." *leering smirk, we're all in this together wink*

Bitch, that is my right hand. I was right-handed. It is a painful appendage, hurts like a mofo. We are not in this together. If we were you would know I mourn its loss as a tool of great utility. That loss of function is not compensated by your perception of it as a nifty sexual aid.

I repeat: That is my HAND, you clueless 2 handed AB able-ist twit. And if you had a penis I would not give you a handjob with Ray Lewis' hand because you are a clueless twit that deserves no sexual gratification. Ever.

2nd Runner UpParaphrased from the comment section of the WSJ. I should NEVER read the comments!) The ADA has only reinforced America's descent into a nanny state. Disabled peope claim to want equality but they really want special privileges. It is ppl like you that have caused all Americans to believe they are entitled to a handout.Nobody is entitled; you should have worked hard so you would be successful, like me. You should stand in line like everyone else at the airport. I don't care that clearly your wheelchair will trigger metal detectors. You probably didn't even lpay for that wheechair anyway. I did, with my tax dollars. I am sorry about your son's quadripegia but it's not my problem that he can't access the toilet. I have my own problems. I take care of my problems so you shoud take care of yours. Now get out of the way b/c I need to pee, then I have a flight to catch. And I don't care that you can only use the h/c toilet. That is just you wanting special treatment because of your 'DISABILITY" again. I am using the h/c toilet now b/c I got here first. I need to have a convo on my cell phone. I did too much coke and sweated thru my button-up shirt and need to change shirts. Do you see now? I HAVE MY OWN PROBLEMS!

(This guy I WOULD give a handjob w/ Ray Lewis' hand. The one with a knife in it.)

Its not what people say its some of the people that have said it. Doctors, nurses, PT, OT.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    On seeing my clawed-up tenodesis-only right hand holding a microphone at a rally: "That hand must be perfect for hand jobs." *leering smirk, we're all in this together wink*

Bitch, that is my right hand. I was right-handed. It is a painful appendage, hurts like a mofo. We are not in this together. If we were you would know I mourn its loss as a tool of great utility. That loss of function is not compensated by your perception of it as a nifty sexual aid.

I repeat: That is my HAND, you clueless 2 handed AB able-ist twit. And if you had a penis I would not give you a handjob with Ray Lewis' hand because you are a clueless twit that deserves no sexual gratification. Ever.

2nd Runner UpParaphrased from the comment section of the WSJ. I should NEVER read the comments!) The ADA has only reinforced America's descent into a nanny state. Disabled peope claim to want equality but they really want special privileges. It is ppl like you that have caused all Americans to believe they are entitled to a handout.Nobody is entitled; you should have worked hard so you would be successful, like me. You should stand in line like everyone else at the airport. I don't care that clearly your wheelchair will trigger metal detectors. You probably didn't even lpay for that wheechair anyway. I did, with my tax dollars. I am sorry about your son's quadripegia but it's not my problem that he can't access the toilet. I have my own problems. I take care of my problems so you shoud take care of yours. Now get out of the way b/c I need to pee, then I have a flight to catch. And I don't care that you can only use the h/c toilet. That is just you wanting special treatment because of your 'DISABILITY" again. I am using the h/c toilet now b/c I got here first. I need to have a convo on my cell phone. I did too much coke and sweated thru my button-up shirt and need to change shirts. Do you see now? I HAVE MY OWN PROBLEMS!

(This guy I WOULD give a handjob w/ Ray Lewis' hand. The one with a knife in it.)
    OMG, I cant believe that came out of someones mouth.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I'm largely immune to people's questions and comments, not all of which I necessarily find offensive or off-putting. If you get upset by these things -- and, sorry, there is choice in the matter -- you're going to be in for a very long and bumpy ride. People are people and that includes us. Shit is dripping out of peoples' mouths constantly. When are you/we going to stop paying such close attention? When are you/we going to decide not to be anticipating and ready to pounce at the next perceived insult? It's not healthy to be a half-picked scab ready to be peeled raw again by someone's less-than-enlightened or flat-out idiotic remark. Besides, are we all SO sensitive to and SO informed about other peoples' suffering? Hey, not to go full-on Buddhist here, but cultivating self-compassion (first) and then compassion for those we deem benighted helps ease the suffering (ours first, then theirs). Suffering is a psychological add-on to genuine pain.

Now using the wheelchair stall in the bathroom or taking up the HC parking spot is another matter altogether. These people should be put down.
    Last edited by stephen212; 02-28-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Life is suffering my man. See you in the bardo.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I'm largely immune to people's questions and comments, not all of which I necessarily find offensive or off-putting. If you get upset by these things -- and, sorry, there is choice in the matter -- you're going to be in for a very long and bumpy ride. People are people and that includes us. Shit is dripping out of peoples' mouths constantly. When are you/we going to stop paying such close attention? When are you/we going to decide not to be anticipating and ready to pounce at the next perceived insult? It's not healthy to be a half-picked scab ready to be peeled raw again by someone's less-than-enlightened or flat-out idiotic remark. Besides, are we all SO sensitive to and SO informed about other peoples' suffering? Hey, not to go full-on Buddhist here, but cultivating self-compassion (first) and then compassion for those we deem benighted helps ease the suffering (ours first, then theirs). Suffering is a psychological add-on to genuine pain.

Now using the wheelchair stall in the bathroom or taking up the HC parking spot is another matter altogether. These people should be put down.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred