Thread: Investing with sequester

Blog Entries

Investing with sequester

please be kind and remember I don't know what I'm doing. Scarred from missing 2008 opportunities, I have the vast majority of my retirement funds in cash right now. If this sequester happens, might that change your advice about what you would do with your (okay, my) money? Do you think the markets will crash, or would they be happy for some austerity? If they do crash, any thoughts about what I should do with my money?

Any advice generally about what I should do with my money, short of breaking down and paying a financial advisor?

I don't know if I ever thanked some of you for your previous stark advice. Thank you. Stark is good.

I will not offer any advice about what you should do with respect to the upcoming sequestor. However keeping money in cash is silly. At the very least you should keep it in some low risk bond fund. TGMNX is an example (I am not recommending it, just an example of a very low risk fund that at least will return some value other than cash)

Agree with t8, btw the market ended high today.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

There is time to wait this one out. Don't feel pressured to do anything right now. Get this nonsense behind us and then take your time to dollar cost average into whatever makes sense for your term of investment. Balance is the key.

All the best,
    GJ

Stay away from all bonds. They have been forming a bubble for some time now. And when it hits you will get hurt. A money market isn't a bad idea right now. Capital is number one. The market will turn at some point and you'l be glad you kept your cash. Then you'll make your payday. Your being very smart right now.