Thread: Dream a little dream for me

Dream a little dream for me

Why do we need to dream anyway. Three months on neurontin, not one dream remembered. Now off of neurontin and almost every time I wake up its a new dream. This morning it was the President and his son discussing if a child is really nice all his life, can he turn into a real ahole as an adult. Can a person really go three months without dreaming? Maybe if you do not dream your brain atrophies, boy that would be just great to have one more muscle atrophy. That would be something to wright home about, if you could remember how to wright. Dos this mean that you can not dream about a white Christmas? (We usually have rain here on the Oregon coast). Maybe tonight someone can dream up the answer to life's many mystery's.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Not dreaming vs. not remembering your dreams are two different things. Dreaming usually is associated with REM sleep, and if you are totally without REM sleep for more than a few weeks, it can have a negative impact on both your physical and mental health. This includes poor wound healing, as well as symptoms such as hallucinations.

Many people do not remember their dreams. I have not seen anything about gabapentin interfering with REM sleep, but it could be possible. It has been reported as being associated with very vivid and sometimes very weird dreams though.

(KLD)

im not having rem sleep. It is a side effect of POTS. (not the stuff you smoke, but the tachycardia condition) It is more restful if you have complete sleep. everything wakes me up. everything since I can't get into deeper sleep.

It lasted eighteen months, and then a couple weeks ago, the pots went away some. I had rem sleep for the first time in over a year. I was almost beginning to get a proper sleep pattern back when the pots began to come back again, and the sleep problems.

I think it is important to proper sleep to have rem sleep. if you don't have that, sleeping more than two hours is not possible. not sleeping good is bad for your mind.

Elevil causes vivid dreams, promotes Rem sleep, and can help with neuro pain. I found it did better than gaberpentin. I used only small doses, but I have considered using it again just to get a good sleep pattern again.

I had to go on neurotin for a while. After they stopped overmedicating my seizures to the point of zombie drooling in a corner, the night terrors of dealing with some of the PTSD inducing horrors were to much for me. Neurotin let me sleep enough to not be a nervous reck. They kept me on it until I stopped having so many flashbacks while awake. Before the drug, I was just a wreck from lack of sleep.

My wife said I was still restless while I dreamed and she could definitely tell when I had dreams while sleeping.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I'm glad you seem to be getting past the ptsd. A loyal loving wife must be such a blessing after combat fatigue...or playing w/ bombs fatigue as the case may be.

You sure seem unimpaired for a tbi severe enough to require a w/chair or a caregiver. Maybe you just cover well. Regardless I enjoy your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    im not having rem sleep. It is a side effect of POTS. (not the stuff you smoke, but the tachycardia condition) It is more restful if you have complete sleep. everything wakes me up. everything since I can't get into deeper sleep.
    I read that Benzos can help that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I'm glad you seem to be getting past the ptsd. A loyal loving wife must be such a blessing after combat fatigue...or playing w/ bombs fatigue as the case may be.

You sure seem unimpaired for a tbi severe enough to require a w/chair or a caregiver. Maybe you just cover well. Regardless I enjoy your posts.
    Thank you. I've made a lot of progress with her help. I'm past the hiding in the closet with a gun stage (not a joke) and gotten to where, with her support, I can go into unfamiliar places. My still-in-an-official-training-program service-dog-to-be helps too.

They call TBI an invisible injury. But writing is what I can still do well. Auto correct and spell check help when palsy-typing gets iffy. But I have damage to both my inner ear (hearing and balance are not totally gone, but not good) and optic nerve (limited vision in a narrow cone and no tracking motion.) I stutter when I try to speak and take a long time to accomplish things. It frustrates me immensely that I am so weak and vulnerable. The day-long intelligence testing showed that I had lost more than 50% of my thinking and processing skills. Don't even start on memory, lots of problems there. I can not comprehend the information speed and quantity of just watching TV. So I read, and I'm starting to write some again.

A lot of programs that would help would not work for me - think of a group like STAR, It does not work well to put together who suffer from victim experiences with people who suffer because of what they inflicted. I mostly open up to other vets.

CureCare has helped. I originally came looking for advice on getting my first chair, but I've found all of ya'll to be people that I just didn't feel that I had to hide in a shell from.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.