Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Marijuana

Medical Marijuana

Last year was one of my best after 43 years of being a paraplegic with the help of marijuana. It greatly improved my appetite and that made my bowel program much easier. My depression was under control and I felt that life was good. After about 9 months I started to notice a change in my nervous system like a dulling effect that made it harder to move and I started to sleep a lot. I stopped smoking and immediately my depression came back and my appetite went away. To keep my BP on track I had to force myself to eat and I still feel depressed. I would like to know if anyone else has had a bad experience with pot
    Just another tricky day. C5/6 incomplete, 43 years out.

You'll get through.

I'm on the fence about MM is something I need to try. With seizures and anxiety, it would seam like I have a good chance of being helped. But it isn't legal here in North Carolina, so I've been confined to reading a good deal on the subject.

I have come across exactly what you describe a few times. The most reliable experts that I have found, in sight of the dirt of any true scientific studies, are the dispensary experts in California. One of the more interesting quotes I ran across from a reputable source is "science [of medicine] works with purified chemicals in controlled doses.

Many of the proponents of MM recommend micro dosing, the practice of providing a far lower level of the drug than the level needed to get high. This level of dosing is very hard to achieve with traditional inhalation through smoke or vapor. It is much easier to use a distilled tincture. This is the delivery method used by 6 year old Jayden David.

The preparation of a tincture is not easy. Unless you have a friend who is a lab chemist, I would not recommend home preparation. People have literally blown up their houses during a process called butane extraction. A professional lab has the equipment to safely strip the active ingredients from the bud and reduce it to a solid paste or a liquid suspension.

There is a product called Marinol, but it only contains delta 9 THC, not any of the other caniboids. It will help with appetite, but not with depression. Although it is a synthetic and FDA approved drug, many physicians will not prescribe it solely due to it's association with cannibis. Besides, the side effects seem to be exactly what you are complaining about with your MM.

Selection of strain is also a major factor in how well it will work for you. There is such a wide selection that it is difficult to make an informed choice without expert help. Harborside Health Center in San Francisco is one of the few places doing reliable analysis of strains using gas chromatography/flame ionization detection, and plate culture analysis.

Bottom line, my advice, for what it's worth is to contact an expert in the field. The most knowledgable people I know of run reputable dispensaries in California.

Hope this helps.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

There is already a "medical marijuana" in the form of a pill that does NOT have all the chemicals etc( approximate;y 150 ) that do nothing.
    " Marinol "is the name. If you have issues then your doctor or provider can order this if they choose and itis not Illegal. Also does not have all the potentially harmful chemicals in it that the other has.
    And yes the smoking of Marijuana does dull your nervous sytem and can caus epermanent damage. And not sure if this is lessened by the pill form but the hope is that it is.

And you need an antidepressant. Cymbalta and Elavil can help with pain.other might give you energy so you take in the morning- Prozac, Effexor.
    Others you take at night to help with sleep- Remeron, Trazadone.
    And decreasin gdepression can help with appetitite but most don't affect it or tjey can put you on one that doesn't.
    So.. there are alot of choices. Ask your provider
    And you should be able to take with the Marinol pill if they so choose to order it but they will only start one med at a time.. or should...

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is already a "medical marijuana" in the form of a pill that does NOT have all the chemicals etc( approximate;y 150 ) that do nothing.
    " Marinol "is the name. If you have issues then your doctor or provider can order this if they choose and itis not Illegal. Also does not have all the potentially harmful chemicals in it that the other has.
    And yes the smoking of Marijuana does dull your nervous sytem and can caus epermanent damage. And not sure if this is lessened by the pill form but the hope is that it is.

And you need an antidepressant. Cymbalta and Elavil can help with pain.other might give you energy so you take in the morning- Prozac, Effexor.
    Others you take at night to help with sleep- Remeron, Trazadone.
    And decreasin gdepression can help with appetitite but most don't affect it or tjey can put you on one that doesn't.
    So.. there are alot of choices. Ask your provider
    And you should be able to take with the Marinol pill if they so choose to order it but they will only start one med at a time.. or should...

CWO
    I am really confused by this post. Are you saying that there are approximately 150 chemicals in Marijuana that do nothing but may be harmful - where do you get your information?
    Then you recommend myriad manufactured drugs with stated multiple possibly harmful or fatal side effects?

Medical MJ has come a long way. There are many ways to ingest it and many strains that react differently within the body. Look into alternatives. MJ does not cause any of the side effects listed on those prescription drugs -
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    I am really confused by this post. Are you saying that there are approximately 150 chemicals in Marijuana that do nothing but may be harmful - where do you get your information?
    Then you recommend myriad manufactured drugs with stated multiple possibly harmful or fatal side effects?

Medical MJ has come a long way. There are many ways to ingest it and many strains that react differently within the body. Look into alternatives. MJ does not cause any of the side effects listed on those prescription drugs -
    Indeed.

MM doesn't work perfectly well for me, I'd just like to be able to play the cripple card to score a legal buzz the few times a year I'm so inclined.

I'm exclusively a tincture and edibles fan, though.

I trust what's in that plant, after thousands of years of human testing, waaaayyyy more than I trust the capitalist profit fetishizers at Eli Lilly and Company.

They can peddle their drugs on someone else's street corner. Mine is occupied, thanks, by an honest weed dealer.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Tall Paul When you stooped taking MM did the physical systems of feeling weak go away. Since you have gotten some great affects for the MM it seams like it would be worth a try to go back and forth with the stuff and see if this is really what is causing the problem. I did not take any M after my injury about two years ago because of the possibility of it slowing my recovery. But 19 months into this brave new world, when the neuro pain kicked in stronger and stronger, and I was ramping up taking Gapapinten, and opiates and other crap, it was time to rethink that idea.
    I had very bad reactions with most of those drugs, to the point where I can not take them. Well the MM has really helped a lot. And as for slowing down my recovery, I just got another bit of leg muscle back last week. I believe that gabapinten and Lycra, and some other drugs are far worse for slowing down recovery then anything else. Wise made that very same comment about what one can do for the best muscle strength. Are you taking any other drugs that may cause your weakness? Bottom line is trial and error is the way to go. Good luck.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Tall Paul - may need to detox or try a different variety. know what the plant is and it's known attributes. research the topic for yourself and trust your own body.

hopefully this spring MM will stand a chance of passing in IL.

my experience of MM with SCI - i no longer have the need for any pharmaceuticals.

PM if you like.

Marinol is good for neuropathic pain. But it is strong and is a round gelcap-you can't cut it in half to control the dose. It's epensive. It's a chemical. If you feel safer deaing w/ Big Pharma, it might be your answer. It got me so high I had to hide under the covers. Never refilled the prescription. Marinol does increase appetite; it was developed for AIDS patients who were wasting away.

There are different types of MM. Indica does one thing, sativa another. Indica is calming and good for neuropain.

Pot isn't causing your depression. I have never heard of that and I have know 3 zillion potheads. The wrong type can cause paranoia, and lack of motivation is often a probem. It's called amotivational syndrome and is probably the biggest liability with marijuana. Sativa is said to not cause this.

The things that made me weak post rehab were neurontin and baclofen. Any benzos too. I'm off anti-depressants. They work well for some situations but I had a huge amount of grieving to do. Numbing wasn't helping, it was postponing. I just had to cry and scream. You have to go through it. Can't go over, under or around some things. Through is the only way to the other side. Hopefully you are not in the situation I was in. It was pretty extreme, unusual and brutal.

Edible pot has a whole different feel than smoke-able. It sounds to me like your issues got worse without the MM.

If you are prone to anxiety, avoid sativa. The dispensaries know what they're doing. They are kind of like baristas.

Maybe you need one type for daytime and one for evening?

CWO, I appreciate al you do...but with all due respect, you are way off base here. Pot is about as harmless a mood-altering substance there has ever been. All those other cannabinoids in MM don't do nothing. They have function. They work in harmony w/ the rest of the plant. They don't cause permanent damage in a fully developed adult brain. I feel like you watched Reefer Madness last night!

Don't buy street pot. It's blood money, supports cartel murders and ppl sometimes add stuff to it. Go to a dispensary or grow your own. As w/ any med, you'll have to experiment w/ dosage and strains. But don't go thinking marinol is some magic bullet. It's a $20.00 pill that is no such thing.

This country is insane on the issue of pot. Just tax it, sell it and give people some fairly harmless relief from pain and stress. Cut down on the prison industrial complex. If you're worried about our deficit let ppl out of jail that have been there 3 yrs. for 2 joints. Some ppl say they get depressed upon withdrawals from pot. Try taking opiates and get back to me on that. Pot withdrawals are laughable.

This is like the recent announcement that, surprise, eggs are good for you. And butter. That is because they are real food. Fake butter that you spray from a bottle is just chemically compounded crap. Of course a product that is not made of petroleum is healthier. And eggs? God put them in nifty packaging. Yes, they have cholesterol. We need it, for our brains and livers!

It's like saying you prefer GMO apples, b/c the government modified them to look pretty and be safe. Really? You trust the govt. that much? I much prefer the original version, grown in dirt and cow crap.

Ever notice how many drugs are pulled off the market lately, b/c surprise, they had SEVERE side effects? I do not trust the pharmaceutical industry. I do trust an herb that helps far more than it hurts. And I know who grew it, and how. God get me out of ks, I am so tired of pain!
    Last edited by betheny; 02-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Bethany is so right about not buying street pot.

My Godfather was an ATF chemist. His speciality was finding out exactly what was in seized moonshine and drugs. Some of his stories made me shudder.

I did some anti-drug work myself and what is on the streets is neither quality nor safe. The dispensaries are reliable. If you want to grow your own, there are places to buy seeds online. I am not going to post links, but just google it and make sure you are dealing with a reputable company.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I do use regularly and I couldn't imagine life like this without it
    :0)
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon