Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it the right way?

[QUOTE=muskie;1663160]K11 my son is asia a and attends push to walk in New Jersey and enjoys it very much especially when he gets the drill sargent instructors[/QUOTE

Can you tell me which level your son is injured and how old he is? thank you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post
    Hi KK11 and Welcome,

Don't get a case of the "Grass is Greener" (on the other side of the fence)

Sometimes the grass is just over the septic tank and fertilized by a lot of S***............

From my point of view, 2 years into this new lifestyle, there is very little coordination of the work going on in the US and Canada. Most Doctors and Researchers are in it for the fame of finding some kind of "breakthrough" and the Gravy Train of money that is thrown their way so the can have job security, (well paid too), for life. Those who might really care are hampered by restrictive governmental regulations and lack of funding since they aren't out chasing the almighty dollar and glad handing the big donors on their way to noteriety ( example numero uno... Wise Young being forced to work overseas in less restrictive conditions (cheaper too I would bet). And once in a while the whole lot of them get together to regale each other with "Tales" of progress, breakthroughs, and promising things on the horizon while patting each other on the back or trying to debunk someone elses work to make their own look better.

The simple fact that we continue to spend billions on space exploration and NASA, yet can't reasonably fund research and eradication efforts for the major medical issues plaguing the earth tells you where our "Cure" stands in the realm of Amerikan politics and popular opinion. Everyone is quick to Bi**h about their neighbor and his/her "government aid" and disability placard, but watches "science" being carried out on a space station no different than it was 20 years ago and waves the flag to go to war over some percieved "threat" to our desire to have others conform and become like us.

The human race is lazy and short sighted, the Western world worse than others. Witness our desire for cheap energy leading to the destruction of the Earth and Groundwater through "fracking" rather than investing in the research to reduce the costs of renewables and seek other less damaging alternatives. And, by the way, we better be working on desalination technologies so we can drink seawater after ruining the fresh water supply.

Our government, and the American people, find it easier to throw money at disabilities and illnesses like cancer, than to put the real effort into finding cures and therapies that restore and save lives. Curing cancer is now an industry that produces nothing but perpetual hope yet lines the pockets of corporations, universities, and researchers with vast sums of $$$$$.
    Spending 1/4 of the $ spent just on NASA over the last 40 years on medical research would have likely "cured" millions of people and "wiped out" diseases WORLDWIDE. Oh, and God forbid someone be allowed to smoke a Doobie to deal with the pain or nausea that science has been unable to solve, that is off limits because it's natural and nobody can patent it to make gobs of money overcharging the healthcare system!

I will now come down from my soapbox.
    Jim
    I totally agree with you in the most points you have mentioned......But the US is in my opinion the only country in the world who can raise up those funds which are needed for this in relation to other diseases very small population of sci´s in the world. I agree totally with this NASA statement you´ve did BUT you really dont wanna know whats going on here in germany. What the german gouverment does with the taxes of all the people and how many currupt politicans we have sitting here but this is a different topic :-) .......

Well i´m just thinking its sad when you look at the spinal cord injury research right now. You know , scientists proofed that a cure is possible many many years ago and its amazing to see that in this time period a lot of clinical trials on humans are going on BUT I think that the whole structure or makeup of those trials are wrong starting from the choice of participants to the way of financing this trials.......lets hope and see what will happen in the future!

[QUOTE=KK11;1663196]
    Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    K11 my son is asia a and attends push to walk in New Jersey and enjoys it very much especially when he gets the drill sargent instructors[/QUOTE

Can you tell me which level your son is injured and how old he is? thank you.........
    C5 ASIA A he was injured at 21 he is 23 now
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

[QUOTE=muskie;1663206]
    Quote Originally Posted by KK11 View Post
    C5 ASIA A he was injured at 21 he is 23 now
    I´m 25 years old and I was injured at the age of 23. Wish you and your son all the best!

@KK11, the grass is not always greener on the other side. Countries with nationalised health services may offer a more broad array of services post-SCI than those in the US. The services SCI's receive in the US depends largely upon the type of insurance policies you sign up to. Apples and pears really.

The lack of availability of long-term rehabilitation for complete SCIs is something that is an issue all over the world. It's a problem in Europe, North America and Asia. Actually, long-term rehabilitation for incomplete SCIs is not great either. This is down to finite resources and of course a shift in opinions amongst experts that rehabilitation is beneficial and required for much longer that the sub-acute and early chronic stage. Although there are many intensive rehabilitation centres in the US, there are also some in Europe if you search them out.

With regards to research, well, there are some groups in Germany that are working upon SCI cure. True that they may not collaborate as much as labs in some other European nations such as the UK, Sweden and Switzerland but there maybe reasons for that. Sometimes, funding agencies incentivise that you collaborate with other groups in order to receive grants. Perhaps funding studies within Germany is less difficult? Just a thought.

Wings4Life and ISRT put a lot of effort into global collaboration in the field - especially in Europe. If you have a look you'll see that grants are awarded to labs all over Europe. Obviously there should be more collaboration. And we should encourage that. I certainly wouldn't say that Germany is any different to any of the other EU nations when it comes to R&D for SCI - actually, some may argue that it's one of the more innovative ones.

Hi KK11 and Welcome,

Don't get a case of the "Grass is Greener" (on the other side of the fence)

Sometimes the grass is just over the septic tank and fertilized by a lot of S***............

From my point of view, 2 years into this new lifestyle, there is very little coordination of the work going on in the US and Canada. Most Doctors and Researchers are in it for the fame of finding some kind of "breakthrough" and the Gravy Train of money that is thrown their way so the can have job security, (well paid too), for life. Those who might really care are hampered by restrictive governmental regulations and lack of funding since they aren't out chasing the almighty dollar and glad handing the big donors on their way to noteriety ( example numero uno... Wise Young being forced to work overseas in less restrictive conditions (cheaper too I would bet). And once in a while the whole lot of them get together to regale each other with "Tales" of progress, breakthroughs, and promising things on the horizon while patting each other on the back or trying to debunk someone elses work to make their own look better.

The simple fact that we continue to spend billions on space exploration and NASA, yet can't reasonably fund research and eradication efforts for the major medical issues plaguing the earth tells you where our "Cure" stands in the realm of Amerikan politics and popular opinion. Everyone is quick to Bi**h about their neighbor and his/her "government aid" and disability placard, but watches "science" being carried out on a space station no different than it was 20 years ago and waves the flag to go to war over some percieved "threat" to our desire to have others conform and become like us.

The human race is lazy and short sighted, the Western world worse than others. Witness our desire for cheap energy leading to the destruction of the Earth and Groundwater through "fracking" rather than investing in the research to reduce the costs of renewables and seek other less damaging alternatives. And, by the way, we better be working on desalination technologies so we can drink seawater after ruining the fresh water supply.

Our government, and the American people, find it easier to throw money at disabilities and illnesses like cancer, than to put the real effort into finding cures and therapies that restore and save lives. Curing cancer is now an industry that produces nothing but perpetual hope yet lines the pockets of corporations, universities, and researchers with vast sums of $$$$$.
    Spending 1/4 of the $ spent just on NASA over the last 40 years on medical research would have likely "cured" millions of people and "wiped out" diseases WORLDWIDE. Oh, and God forbid someone be allowed to smoke a Doobie to deal with the pain or nausea that science has been unable to solve, that is off limits because it's natural and nobody can patent it to make gobs of money overcharging the healthcare system!

I will now come down from my soapbox.
    Jim
    spending on science is always worth while whether its NASA or medical, its the coordination of proper allocation and control of the funds to specific projects that is whats needed like spinal cord society was suppose to be set up as.

the idea would be to stop funding care projects etc that's what Lions, Para Quad and Rotary etc, are for

NASA in its hay day was run by mainly 20's to mid 30's aged personal and achieved great things by being focused. Now they have old farts who are comfortable doing fuck all. But research to better mankind is still being done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    @KK11, the grass is not always greener on the other side. Countries with nationalised health services may offer a more broad array of services post-SCI than those in the US. The services SCI's receive in the US depends largely upon the type of insurance policies you sign up to. Apples and pears really.

The lack of availability of long-term rehabilitation for complete SCIs is something that is an issue all over the world. It's a problem in Europe, North America and Asia. Actually, long-term rehabilitation for incomplete SCIs is not great either. This is down to finite resources and of course a shift in opinions amongst experts that rehabilitation is beneficial and required for much longer that the sub-acute and early chronic stage. Although there are many intensive rehabilitation centres in the US, there are also some in Europe if you search them out.

With regards to research, well, there are some groups in Germany that are working upon SCI cure. True that they may not collaborate as much as labs in some other European nations such as the UK, Sweden and Switzerland but there maybe reasons for that. Sometimes, funding agencies incentivise that you collaborate with other groups in order to receive grants. Perhaps funding studies within Germany is less difficult? Just a thought.

Wings4Life and ISRT put a lot of effort into global collaboration in the field - especially in Europe. If you have a look you'll see that grants are awarded to labs all over Europe. Obviously there should be more collaboration. And we should encourage that. I certainly wouldn't say that Germany is any different to any of the other EU nations when it comes to R&D for SCI - actually, some may argue that it's one of the more innovative ones.

I dont wanna say that everything is bad here and you are right that Wings for Life has a huge impact in this field and the scientific president and a brillant researcher is Dr. Jan Schwab who is german. He is doing a lot of great stuff but what I try to say is that without a global collaboration between all in this field(UK,switzerland etc. and especially the US!!!) we won´t get the solution for a spinal cord injury........... I could be wrong. But because of the research I did since the time i became paralyzed I developed this kind of view

Quote Originally Posted by KK11 View Post
    I dont wanna say that everything is bad here and you are right that Wings for Life has a huge impact in this field and the scientific president and a brillant researcher is Dr. Jan Schwab who is german. He is doing a lot of great stuff but what I try to say is that without a global collaboration between all in this field(UK,switzerland etc. and especially the US!!!) we won´t get the solution for a spinal cord injury........... I could be wrong. But because of the research I did since the time i became paralyzed I developed this kind of view
    I total agree with this prospective the trouble is that some here and other places have a nationalistic view, in stead of looking at this as a mankind problem that needs to be tackled head on, for all to benefit. There is also the commercial reasons that companies don't progress any further and that can be in the form patents royalties etc.

it would be good to move forward without the above blocks but then would scientist work without the insensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    spending on science is always worth while whether its NASA or medical, its the coordination of proper allocation and control of the funds to specific projects that is whats needed like spinal cord society was suppose to be set up as.

the idea would be to stop funding care projects etc that's what Lions, Para Quad and Rotary etc, are for

NASA in its hay day was run by mainly 20's to mid 30's aged personal and achieved great things by being focused. Now they have old farts who are comfortable doing fuck all. But research to better mankind is still being done.
    My personal feeling on NASA research benefitting mankind is that chasing moonbeams has been a poor way to advance the science of medicine. What if those resources, monetary and human, had been turned to advancing medicine, healthcare, recovery, adaptive equipment, vaccines, and cures. Perhaps as a bit of dumb luck we would have found the way to Mars in minutes, not years; or the Higgs Boson solved years ago; or some totally environmentally neutral energy source that could power anything from an electric scooter to an electric cruise ship. Just because the moon rover made it possible for the disabled to have our fancy adaptive technologies doesn't mean it was an effective or morally proper use of the effort put into it and the lives lost. We have not advanced PAST the MOON and had 40 years to do so! The current news is that some private gazillionare might beat all the governments to the Red Planet. Any gazilionares out there looking to solve our issues?

My personal feeling on NASA research benefitting mankind is that chasing moonbeams has been a poor way to advance the science of medicine. What if those resources, monetary and human, had been turned to advancing medicine, healthcare, recovery, adaptive equipment, vaccines, and cures. Perhaps as a bit of dumb luck we would have found the way to Mars in minutes, not years; or the Higgs Boson solved years ago; or some totally environmentally neutral energy source that could power anything from an electric scooter to an electric cruise ship. Just because the moon rover made it possible for the disabled to have our fancy adaptive technologies doesn't mean it was an effective or morally proper use of the effort put into it and the lives lost. We have not advanced PAST the MOON and had 40 years to do so! The current news is that some private gazillionare might beat all the governments to the Red Planet. Any gazilionares out there looking to solve our issues?
    I understand your feelings and i respect them but my main point was that the issue of in terms of providing better wheel chairs etc is a waste of resources that are trying to fund every thing.

That is why i mentioned organisations like Lions clubs etc doing that type work through community fund raising activities, that is what they do they help in the implimentation of community benefit in a sense of the word.

In regards to other science endevours, well i think they have benefits that outway a single point.
    But yes there is not enough support financially in regards to overcome and makee medical cures become reality earlier, i would like to see more progress toward (selfishly) inrards to medical cures for SCI

So in general i agree with what your saying