Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CREEPY IS AS CREEPY DOES: The Secret World of Disability Trolls

Several years ago Dave and I took a friend's young daughter to an expo because the Shriner's were there doing evaluations. Because it was a pre existing condition her insurance would not pay for the serious congenital orthopedic care.
    We knew nothing about SCI or much about disability and looked at some of the booths never dreaming it would be part of our life.
    If anyone would have told us about these creepy trolls I would have thought they were making it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    "These women were from diverse locations and
    social groups. Out of fifty women, forty seven had
    Disability Trolls in their Facebook Friend List.
    Each woman had an average of ten Trolls in her
    List"

Am I the only one who thinks that statistic is stretched a bit too far to believe?
    Yep. Several of my female friends w/ SCI have trolls on their friends list.
    Last edited by msummer99; 02-27-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Several years ago Dave and I took a friend's young daughter to an expo because the Shriner's were there doing evaluations. Because it was a pre existing condition her insurance would not pay for the serious congenital orthopedic care.
    We knew nothing about SCI or much about disability and looked at some of the booths never dreaming it would be part of our life.
    If anyone would have told us about these creepy trolls I would have thought they were making it up.
    Egad, are you thinking someone would go to the trouble to set up a booth for the purpose of trolling? I'm not understanding.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nonoise - It is understandable that you find the 47 out of 50 hard to believe. That is the point of the booklet. Most people have very little idea of how invasive the Disability Trolls are in the Disability Community especially for SCI and amputees.

Unless, you have a large amount of friends with SCI or amputations such as I do, it is unlikely you would be aware of what is going on.

I can state with absolute certainty that the vast majority of female wheelchair users that are regularly on Facebook and are considered to be conventionally attractive have Disability Trolls as Facebook Friends.

Please refer to my blog for more information:
    http://disabilitytrolls.blogspot.com/

Regarding the EXPO being unsafe, I don't think that should be a valid concern.
    Disability Trolls take advantage of deception to target vulnerable victims.

Awareness combined with strong verbal boundary setting is an effective means to deter unwanted attention.

For those that would like to help stop the Trolls from victimizing more people with disabilities, please join our Cause:
    http://www.causes.com/causes/813030-...rs-on-facebook

Egad, are you thinking someone would go to the trouble to set up a booth for the purpose of trolling? I'm not understanding.
    I doubt anyone is setting up a booth...they are getting tickets (free on-line) and attending the Expos to hang out and possibly have close physical contact with people with disabilities, who will be attending the Expos in large numbers.

We have experienced people who just show up on the inpatient rehab units wanting to be a "friendly visitor" with the patients as well...we have a high level of suspicion for those folks, and thank goodness our Volunteer department does as well. Creepy.

(KLD)

yea that list of trolls on facebook was creepy. the majority of my disabled female friends had them on their friends list!!! yikes!!!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

no, that is not what I meant. Just remembering going to an expo before my husband had SCI and the booths that venders had set up showing displays of ramps, technology and things for disabled people.

Grosssss! So, if you join a SCI group on FB does that expose you to the creeps if you're setting are "private"? My settings are private and with exception of a couple people from here, I don't friend people I don't know in person because of pictures of our Granddaughters, but have received private messages in the "other" folder from men with lame pickup lines. I've wondered how they can see my name or page!

Thanks for the thread, Ekondo!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Crap, I've got total hots for a few of the babes here and now find out that not only am I fucked with an SCI, I'm a wacko troll to boot.

:-) ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We have experienced people who just show up on the inpatient rehab units wanting to be a "friendly visitor" with the patients as well...we have a high level of suspicion for those folks, and thank goodness our Volunteer department does as well. Creepy.
    (KLD)
    The only place I try to help out is the unit for wounded vets at Fort Bragg. I bring my in-training for service dog there for socialization and also to get me out of the house. But They know and trust me there and I am an alumni of the center, so I guess it's not as creepy. Between the dog and my trike, I get a lot of curious people. While that is both physically and emotionally draining on me, it does help with my social rehabilitation.

I'm not on Facebook. I just can't stand the constant bombardment of information I see on my wife's account. And I'm still too damn paranoid about putting personal information online. If I was, I'd strictly limit friends to people I had met in real life. Heck, even my alumni information for college doesn't have my phone or email. If someone really wants to reconnect with me, they can write a letter.

I know I have trust and paranoia issues, but the online threat is real and widespread. It is absolutely scary how easy it is to find out information about people. Last time I was interviewed by a newspaper reporter, I was able, just from he byline, to find out her address (and use google street view), her kids' names and dates of birth, where she had lived and when, and many pictures. All without paying a cent. It's frightening. I've done my best to remove my online identity, but even having a common name I still show up more than I am comfortable with and with just a few details that are far to widely known, will show up near the top on some google searches.

I'm an old man and not the target for these trolls, but if you are attractive or female, you can easily be stalked. Even someone you piss off can stalk you.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.